3D vegetation for archviz

Deetee

Greeting people,

Im using 3D Max & Vray for my arch viz job.

Normally i use evermotion vegetation or Onyx for some custom simple broadleaf trees...

My onyx skill are still pretty beginner i guess...

Currently I plan to further brush up my skills for realism vegetation creation (model, texture, render)...

I know Onyx is great software for vegetation...

Xfrog, Speedtree is the other 2 software that i know is meant for vegetation, but personally i havnt use it before.

does vue creates vegetation? or just environment?

Anyway my question is,

other than onyx, xfrog, speedtree, which others software is good for realism vegetation creation?

i do understand they are just a tools and it is how the end user use it, but can someone explain what is the pro and cons between each products???

regarding the user friendly-ness, customization, library, easy to use or not, flexibility etc etc?

*sry for my bad english.

onyx can do some very nice stuff, as long as you stay in the boundaries. Xfrog is a lot more flexible, but it also takes more time to understand. But in general there is only one way to find out - test the demo.

I am mostly using Xfrog for my creations, but thats a matter of taste.

Oh, I am no max user, but I think for max there´s also GrowthFX plugin

yes, the library plants of Xfrog use opacity maps. But if you model yourself with Xfrog (or take existing plants and change them), then you can use pure geometry to if you want to. (with Xfrog4 and higher)

Apart from that I think, for many leaf shapes it´s hardly possible to go with pure polygonal shapes, at least if you want to get a bit closer.

And if you have use the plants in the distance, you often just can turn off opacity maps and you are fine. It always depends on how close you are to the plants.

But as mentioned before, try the tools and figure out what works best for YOU.