IES light question

graphix

Ok here is the situation. I recieved the IES file from the manufacture for a specific light fixture that I have already modeled. I placed a light infront of the fixture and assigned the IES file. Looks wonderful except that it would appear that it thinks the lamp is only about 6" long when it is 4' long.

Copying the light up and down evenly does not represent at all what the actual fixture does, I have seen on installed at night.

The shape and distance of the falloff is correct.

What I want to know is.... is there a way that I can stretch the "light" itself?

Or is there a way to assign the IES file itself to an object that was modeled in autocad and imported into VIZ.

I am using VIZ 4 .

Thanks,

graphix

ADDED INFORMATION:

Ok I found a handy dandy sheet telling me how to edit the IES file itself but when I edit the "height" of the fixture it does nothing. I have attached an image of the scene I am working on. The light on the left is with the IES file from the manufacture, the light on the right is the IES file that I modified for the height of the fixture.

The deadline is running near.... any help will be greatly appriciated.

I usually have the same problem. Try to solve it modifying the ies file in Lightscape with the photometric web editor.

Whenever I ask my light manufacturers for photometric files, they never match with the reality, I have to tweak them always.

best regards

Use a Linear Light with the IES distribution, OR, rotate the light (it seems to be horizontal, but your light is vertical).

Even if you edit the IES, it won't help. The Light is a Point Light, and it defines the distribution, it won't "stretch" it, and won't match the light specification because you're changing it.

Hope it helps,

Alexander

Use a Linear Light with the IES distribution, OR, rotate the light (it seems to be horizontal, but your light is vertical).

Alexander

the "light spill" is correct just not tall enough(the fixture is capped on both ends and is supposed to wash the wall as shown

I changed out the light source from a point to a linear light at the appropriate length and get the below image, even worse then non linear light source.

Here is a free .ies viewer that I have used.

http://www.geocities.com/tony_v_mor...nloads/Pies.zip

Mike

thats a really slick viewer.......... anyone have one where I can edit the IES file?

Still in need.

Thanks guys!

graphix

Try moving the light farther from the wall - the "spill" will be larger. You may need to disable the objects from casting shadows, or play with things like that.

Hope it helps,

Alexander

moving the light further from the wall makes the light cast on the wall signifigantly less intense, which is not the way the fixture is designed to cast.

thanks,

graphix

• 3 years later...