First External

Matt Sugden

Hi Guys, well I'm putting my head on the chopping block and sticking my first external view render on here for some comments. Areas I'm pleased with are my grass, used someones tutorial from the forum for it, it crippled the rendering times but I thought it looked quite nice.

Not happy with the glass reflections, in fact I ended up blagging it in photoshop and it shows, and also the drive just kept getting pinker and pinker.

Anyway, comments would be appreciated.

Kind Regards.

matt

What program are you using? You can adjust the rgb color of the driveway under the diffuse slot of the material editor, under output (if you are using max or viz). A couple of though. I don't think there is enough contrast. Also, the sun is coming in from the top right, yet the left side of the house is brighter than the front, where the sun is hitting. Is this your design? Maybe look at the concrete on the left of the house and the walkway from the driveway. Consider making them both the same material as the driveway. For the glass, it seems like not enough specular reflection. Looks nice though. Good first exterior post.

-Jason

Hi Jason, thanks for your comments. I'm using max, the reason for the side of the house appearing bright is that it is a white render rather than highly lit brick!

I started using brazil, but it was just taking too long, I left it for a whole weekend and it had still only done a small patch in the middle (though it was a res of about 2600x1800).

I keephaving trouble with glass reflections. I've tried setting up a plane opposite the glass with a texture on it, and ramping up the reflection, but this never seems to look any good. Any tips.

The plane idea usually doesn't work very well because of the angle of the camera.

That's why it's a good idea to use environment maps or texture-mapped spheres which are invisible to the camera.

Glass shouldn't receive much diffuse light by itself. (Don't know how this works in max-in Lw you turn the diffuse channel of the glass down to 8% or so.) Also doesn't have to be very transparent depending on what you want to show inside.

hi matt,

not bad for your first exterior rendering. to improve more on your scene, i think you need sidewalks dude, make your driveway sloping up towards your garage. provide some entourage on your foreground and add little on your background. ;)

well... the shadows should be sharber, i think the sun should cast a darker shadows, the glass material is bad, no good reflections or refractions or even a color aplied, the tree on the left is exremely artificial, the side view of the building is shining and i dont know why, i think you have a problem with lighting, try to find tutorials for external rendering.