Applying 2d maps to imported objects in 3ds 2013

archvis

We have finally upgraded from 3ds 2008 to 3ds 2013 in our office and I have been playing with some of the features which don't seem too far removed (I am not too advanced a user, but can pull together a reasonable image).

The main thing I am struggling with is that in 2008 I was able to attach a jpeg image as the diffuse map and it would appear 'properly' on whatever surface it was attached to, i.e. not distorted or confused.

In 2013 when I attempt to attach a jpeg in the diffuse map slot it will not come in correctly.

The attached image shows the material attached to a box created in 3ds (on the left) and the same material attached to the imported box (imported from microstation via a dwg). box.jpg Obviosuly the left hand image is what I am after, can anyone enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong/need to do to get the jpeg to display properly.

Many thanks in advance for all your help.

Chris.

What looks like is that the imported box has bad UVs, this shouldn't have anything to do with the version of max you are using, it's the imported geometry. Try applying a UVW Mapping modifier with cube or box settings, or look into using the UVW unwrap modifier for more complex geometry. UVW mapping should work in many cases though.

• 1 month later...