XRefs and VRay Displacement

avvid

Hi everyone.

Have a bit of a problem: I modelled a sofa in Max, and used VRay Displacement Mod on it. Then noticed that a VRay proxy doesn't retain displacement info., so I XRefed it into my main scene. No problems there.

I then modelled a bar stool, and I'm using VRay Displacement Mod on that. However, when I XRef it into my main scene, the displacement is gone. I've tried XRefing it into a blank scene, and it's the same: no displacement. It seems that the only way I can get the displacement to stick is if I merge it into the scene. What gives?

All maps seem to be referenced correctly, with UNC paths. If I've left-out any info., please ask and I'll clarify.

Have you tried Xref-ing it as an object instead of a scene? With this you can setup the modifier as "merge" and maintain an active control over it. I think you have to set this up before adding the object, but it's all really simple.

Your issue sounds otherwise strange. I'm not surprised at Max for working in one instance and not another, but I have never tried this before and can't think of a better method.

Thank you very much, Corey, merging the modifiers solved my problem, with a blank scene. The only problem I have now is that Max crashes every time I try to merge into my master scene, so I'll have to do some more experimenting. But thanks, that problem is solved.