Poolside Archviz

ericducos

1343864580.jpg

Studio/Institution: Independent
Genre: Residential Exterior
Software: Blender 2.63
Description:

This set of images (http://www.flickr.com/photos/64922486@N06/sets/72157630794402948/) was inspired by a single picture posted by Radiance in the Indigo renderer gallery (http://www.indigorenderer.com/images/pool57cw).

I wanted to do something architecturally simple but with interesting form texture and atmosphere. I really liked the lines in the pool archviz from Radiance, so I recreated the location (I hope he will not mind too much) then rendered it from several angles around the scene - I am only showing a few of the images in the set here:

7664528200_633a3e6f41_b.jpg

7664529130_8714402cab_b.jpg

7664530072_901c8da258_b.jpg

7664532312_a72e1bb32a_b.jpg

I am interested in feedback, critiques and suggestions on this piece.

Thank you!

Hy eric ,

Well First up The model is good please try to give more life to it . Adding up furniture's and then a draft view .

Please reduce the Bump on the Ceiling which is very visible and big .

I beilive you render really good with this Model :)

Cheers

Hy eric ,

Well First up The model is good please try to give more life to it . Adding up furniture's and then a draft view .

Please reduce the Bump on the Ceiling which is very visible and big .

I beilive you render really good with this Model :)

Cheers

OK - noted. I can agree on the ceiling bump - maybe half as much will probably be ok. Regarding furniture, I'll add a couple of artifacts (e.g. lounging chair) and see if it looks ok.

I appreciate the feedback.

I think the lighting and materials are looking good, but I find the compositions a bit wacky.

Stephen: By compositions, do you mean the way the various scene elements are placed, or rather the way the camera was used in the shots (funky angles/camera rotation, too much of a wide angle, location of the shots in the scene, etc...)? If the latter, I thought it would make the scene less boring - are you saying I overdid it?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Yes, I was referring to the camera positions. Not necessarily over the top, but I sometimes find that using these sort of angles screams render rather than potentially being a photograph. But that's just my feeling as a keen photographer :) In saying that, I really like the second image with the railing detail. The first and last images suffer a little from everything being too mid-ground. Maybe just tighten up on what each view is focusing on.

I really don't know what building this is. As per my original post, I saw a picture in the Indigo renderer gallery (http://www.indigorenderer.com/images/pool57cw) and liked the lines and simplicity of it. So I created something based on it. Once the model was recreated and I added texturing/lighting/extra elements, I simply took renders from different angles that I thought would look good.

I just did a Google search on the "Barcelona Pavillion" and that's evidently what it is. Thanks for pointing me to it - I like the look of it :).

In any case, I don't like to ask people to spent time on me unless I have made a real effort to get things as good as I reasonably thought I could. I appreciate your feedback and everyone else's.

What I am after is constructive criticism - not because I have a particularly fragile sense of confidence - but because I need to figure out where I fall short. I do not mind comments such as "I am not sure I like it", but I kindly ask if you would express why you do not. If it is simply a matter of taste for the architecture I chose to model, I definitely respect that. But if you would be more explicit in your critique it would help me make adjustments and create something that is better than it was before.

Many thanks.

--Eric

Yes, I was referring to the camera positions. Not necessarily over the top, but I sometimes find that using these sort of angles screams render rather than potentially being a photograph. But that's just my feeling as a keen photographer :) In saying that, I really like the second image with the railing detail. The first and last images suffer a little from everything being too mid-ground. Maybe just tighten up on what each view is focusing on.

OK, got it. I will try to take this into account. I think you're saying there needs to be a more definite point of interest on most of the shots. Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

After the feedback already provided, I made slight adjustments by adding props so the viewer isn't staring into space. The render below is still grainy because I just wanted to see the reaction to the change in composition.

026d.jpg

Does this concept work better than the first renders?

Thanks for your feedback.