How to Distribute Render correctly?

ilzebotha

Good morning (^v^)/

I would like to try and setup distributed rendering. I have 3DsMax 2012 and VRay Advanced 2.0

Can someone explain to me the difference between VRay RT render server, VRay DR Spawner, Backburner and Net Render? I know Backburner comes standard with 3DsMax for distributed rendering but what's the Net Render tick box for at the bottom of the Common Parameters in the Render Setup? And the Distributed Rendering tick box under the Settings Tab? Why are there so many...

I have tried all the above render choices(?) but they all gave me some sort of problem:

(1) Backburner, I can render the scene from my intended slave(B) to my main pc(A) but the render process does not use A and B to render. When i render from A, picks up only the A server and uses it.

(2) Net Render, I type the IP's of A and B but again it only picks up A.

(3) Distributed Rendering, with this option selected in the Settings tab, I type the IP's of A and B but it returns with a warning log saying "Could not connect to host A & B".

(4) VRay DR Spawner, it neither starts up when I select it form the start menu (it's not in my Task Bar or under my Tast Manager) nor when I click it in my C-Drive directory.

(5) VRay RT render server starts fine but I have to start the vraydummy2012.max from the C-Drive (a tutorial said it should show up). During the render it returns with a warning log saying "Could not connect to host A & B" or "Could not connect to target because target machine actively refused it"

All firewalls are set to allow. IP's are auto obtain. I have made a Backburner render on both pc's. I can see and access both pc's from each other over the network. Am I using the wrong renderer? Advice and input all welcome (^ㅂ^)

Vray RT is a real time render engine used to get instant feedback on your scene when you make lighting and material changes, it's not meant to produce a final image just to give you a preview. Vray DR Spawner runs on your render nodes and is what allows you to do distributed rendering. Distributed rendering allows your main workstation to use up to 10 render nodes to assist it in rendering out an image, this is what most people use in order to speed up the rendering process. Backburner is 3d Studio Max'es network rendering management software, you'd use this if you were going to render an animation and had a render farm of more than 1 machine.

OKay I see, so as I just want to render still images, I should use Vray DR Spawner. Would you say that for that purpose it would be faster to render with 2 extra slave computers that is about 70% of the my main computer's specs? The Images I make has a lot of metal, glass, glitter and glossy finished textures.

(。◕ ‿ ◕。)