Lightworks!

lucho

I speak only by my experience, but talking about rendering, for me its very hard that a program like archicad surpass a program like 3d studio. Like i said before the adition of lightworks to archicad its a great improvement, but sadly it doesnt came with radiosity, i dont know the reason because the standalone version of lightworks come with radiosity, and produce nice images, maybe its very expensive or dificult to graphisoft include this feature, i hope in the future they do. but this its just my point, because some office does great renders without radiosity, for example ¨http://www.smoke3dstudio.com¨, another aspect its the limitiation of archicad for work with very complex and organics forms, i use for my renders complex models of persons and trees, maybe when archicad implement a very good modeling tools, texturing tools and upgrade the importation tools it will consider for complex renders. finally my big reason its i use vray, for me the best rendering engine, for the realism in architectural renders (take a look of http://www.evermotion.org) and the incredible speed, thas the main reason to use 3d studio. besides this factors i think archicad its a great piece of software, and i used a lot, because im an architect, and i think the guys of graphisoft doesnt think in archicad like a rendering tool, its more an architectural tool, in fact for me the inclusion of ligtworks its just an small upgrade, very helpfull really, to produce internal office rendering renders, to check the building or something like that. for me the biggest upgrades of archicad are represent in productivity (better interface, selection tools, etc.)

i am a long time user of FormZ. it used to be that i used FormZ for my modeling and renderng, now i simply use it for my modeling (and then just the architecture elements). FormZ also ships with the Lightworks engine. They offer 3 levels in their package. FormZ with no lightworks, FormZ with Lightworks but no radiosity, and FormZ with Lightworks radiosity. FormZ users know FormZ with lightworks as Renderzone.

Anyway, to my point... compared to other render engines available, Lightworks does not cut the cake in my opinion. At least the flavor I was using embeded in another package. I am sure it is more powerful as a standalone, but when comparedto the new generation of render engines (vray, brazil, mental ray, ect..) it doesn't hold its own.

sorry. just one users opinion.

it does have its strong points though. for more of an illustration or non photo real rendering it did some nice work.

http://www.aecbytes.com/review/ArchiCAD9-images/fig2.jpg

I must say I am VERY impressed with the top image.

If this level or rendering is capable to be done easily in ArchiCAD... geez (whisper) I might consider switching.... :)

I also likes what the improvement they have mention, like 1000 GDL objects (which looks pretty detail to me) and slews of features...

Cesar, I can say from first (top) image that lightworks seems to include Radiosity.

If this level or rendering is capable to be done easily in ArchiCAD... geez (whisper) I might consider switching.... :)

I have to agree with Crazy Homeless Guy about the Lightworks rendering engine. It is easily surpassed by most of the professional rendering engines out there. I worked with it for several years in FormZ, and found it impossible to produce a realistic, artifact-free, radiosity rendering. Richard, I don't know what package you're using to model and render now, but I wouldn't recommend leaving a platform you're familiar with just to gain access to the mediocre Lightworks engine. Try Cinema 4D, or Vray standalone when it's released.

It would be incredible to have a single package to handle drafting, modeling, and rendering. And the idea of just hitting a "render button" and producing a beautiful image sounds great, but at this stage it's a bit like wishing for Star Trek style transporter beam. It just doesn't exist.

Jack

http://www.aecbytes.com/review/ArchiCAD9-images/fig2.jpg

I also likes what the improvement they have mention, like 1000 GDL objects (which looks pretty detail to me) and slews of features...

Cesar, I can say from first (top) image that lightworks seems to include Radiosity.

The exclusion of radiosity in lightworks its confirmed by Graphisoft

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=3697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=40

I agree with you, this top image is nice, and like i mention before, some office made great images without radiosity, and that image was made without radiosity, like explain the author in this forum of graphisoft.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=3697&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=30

• 2 weeks later...

i have a question:

If archiCAD is going to works with lightworks(but without radiosity), this renderer is going to be better than Artlantis???, or even without radiosity lightworks is better than artlantis??, i must confess i am very sad with the exclusion of radiosity :(

Luis Calatayud

Architect :cool:

ArchiCAD is not including Lightworks as a replacement for Artlantis. Artlantis will continue to be the renderer of choice for Grafisoft as a compliment to ArchiCAD's BIM.

The inclusion of Lightworks is to provide good quality renderings for visualization throughout the process of design. For a high quality rendering, post work in an application like Photoshop or using a high quality rendering software is necessary.

I believe that is the direction Graphisoft is taking and frankly ArchiCAD is a software for BIM not a rendering solution.

You are right Ace face: ArchiCAD is a good BIM software and not a renderer, but it would be more interesting that ArchiCAD an Lightworks(with radiosity)works together, because the postediting time is valious, and sometimes we dont have enough time to make this work, this option could enhance the time of work, in my opinion archiCAD has an excellent oportunity to take advance with other programs if it includes a renderer in the same package(BIM and renderer).

what do you think? ;)

Luis