CGA Market to change in the near future?

Agarak

Hello, guys!

Here is my opinion about the evolution of our market: the internet will remove all boundaries. The CGA work will be done over long distances mainly, and mostly in the countries with low cost of labor. If people over there can produce quality (and I have seen some fantastic work, of the kind I rarely see in the UK or US), be reliable and allow non-pirated software, the clients will be hooked. They will trade the need for "facetime and worm body relationship" for the price those people can offer, and you just can't beat it. With the project software and FTP access, all the necessary changes/modifications/reviews can be done during the procress remotely, so... So there will stay the local exclusive CGA boutiques that will handle complex projects that do require physical presence of the team; but the mainstream jobs - renderings or, as they were once called here, "environments" - will be handled by the people far, far away... What would you say? I think it is already happenning.

i find progress slow, talking about working in the UK specifically now.

sounds impressive and fast moving in general terms, and when you talk globally, but i started this work 10 years ago, when all this was still fields. but a handfull of ppl in the uk doing it.

5 years l8r technology had strode foreward in leaps and bounds, but CGA progress was still not much off the starting blocks.

I thought at the time "give it another 5 years it will be a striving business all of it's own."

here i am 5 years l8r again and things have moved on, obviously, but most slow (which is good for me and im still not yet expendable ;p ).

There are 3d guys working in-house in architectural firms. there are beuros out there doing CGA, but again, a handfull. even the freelancers dont make up much in this country.

and talking about the uk again, i cant see a massive move in the next 5 years either.

For what it's worth, I've worked for a firm that was starting to 'shop out' work to Asia just as you describe. One studio (big firm) was doing this through a single person who had those connections. Even with that pipeline opened up I don't expect that it would continue if he left.

The folks who want 'cheap' images will always use the cheapest option. Others are willing to pay a 'premium' because they perceive added value. Some shop at department stores, some at a fancy boutiques. It's not always about cost, sometimes service and personal interaction are more important than a cheap job. I hope that in the end I contribute more to a project than a pretty image.

As for technology, because the tools are there doesn't mean the people are aware of, or comfortable with them, especially in architecture. When was that 'paperless society' thing supposed to happen anyway?

--Chris A.

Hi people,

Here we did work with Asian labour and it was pretty exiting pictures. But thats all "wow nice pic". 3D Design is a field that require 3d technologie. The firm must be in 3d design to get the power of this technologie. Rendering can be made of water color. 3D design is real visuel simulation. We can say virtual architecture is better than clouds in your head.

I think companies that have direct, physical connections to the cheaper labor areas could benefit from the savings - but the clients would never know this. I interviewed a while back at a web design firm that had all it's production done in China. They basically got rid of all the low end guys and had just the creative directors, etc., in LA. But they also had a physical contact, they actual went to china to set it all up. Without that, it's hard to have confidence in someone that it's difficult to speak to (i.e. time differences, language barriers, etc.). I recently got a project from a contractor that had been using a Mexican firm because they kept spelling everything wrong! Simple stuff will always matter, not just the final product. So it will be a while before anyone in the States has to worry about competition overseas (at least I hope so!!).