VRAYwire colour render element & After effects adjustment layers?

CEJ1976

Hi,

I am currently rendering out an animation, and I would like to use the VRAYwire colour render element to generate a bunch of alpha masks in my After effects comp.

Can anyone please explain how I go about generating the adjustment layers in After effects, using the VRAYwire render element?

Thanks.

I highly doubt that there is an effective way to use a wire color in AE to matte out an animation. You are going to be much better off creating alpha mattes for each object you need a matte for. The best way is to create a vray material using the materialwrapper and setting it to matte, alpha -1, tick shadow, tick affect alpha. Place that in the global override and turn of any lights and GI. Now make selection sets to exclude from the override for your mattes and one at a time render them to tif (or whatever) and store alpha. Then in AE place your matte layer in a comp and leave it turned off. If you use a channel > set matte then you can borrow an alpha from another layer. You can also borrow a red, green, or blue channel. This is good for multimatte passes. I still suggest the wrapper. MM's can get funny edges.

• 1 month later...

Hello Friends,

The purpose of rendering out multiple passes is that it allows you to tweak all aspects of an image such as global illumination, direct light, diffuse, reflection, specular etc. These passes can then be compiled together in Adobe Photoshop. The whole process of saving out the different render passes may seem like an extra task within your workflow but it will save you a lot of time, especially if you wish to reduce the reflection of a material or change the colour of an object. Without render passes you would result in rendering the image again and that is not the best way to go if you have a deadline looming. V-Ray supports the 3ds Max Render elements interface since version 1.48. Note however, that V-Ray provides its own render elements and does not support the standard ones implemented in 3ds Max. Standard 3ds Max render elements will not work with V-Ray and vice-versa.

Best Regards

Steven Arnold

Yes multimattes are best but that doesn't mean that a wire color pass is unusable when in a pinch.

Think about it this way... When you shoot a person on a green screen you can key out the green to isolate the person. Now take that concept and apply it to your wire color pass. The edges won't be perfect but it will work.

Sent from Tapatalk.

I totally agree with you Travis. I often find I'm relieved when I load in the wire colour element to get a quick selection that gets me out of trouble. I little blur on the selection is more often than not satisfactory! It's worth having this element as a backup if you don't have a multi matte for what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

My method is apply material ID to all the materials that I want to isolate, then render VRay MultiMatteElement as many as materials you have, then load all these mats in AfterEffect and Isolate each color with the Shift channel effect, it will give you a B/W mat ready to use.

Now if you want to use only Wire color or Object ID you can isolate the color desired with color key or Keylight and get your mat from there.

The advantages of MultiMatteElement is it is antialised and it keep transparencies.