sweep modifier weird behaviour

andstef

Hello!

I'm using sweep modifier to model classic furniture but in situations such as the one in the picture it acts weird and i have to work around it, rather then using a straight forward modeling method.

Can you suggest something to make it work properly?

I can't use banking because the profile will no longer be vertical,

I had the same issues with loft compound object.

I also tried a reset xform - did not work.

normalize spline does not keep straight corners

How I'm trying to create this:

I created the spline in top view, mirrored it on the Z axis, attached it to the original spline, welded the vertices at the end of the splines, applied sweep modifier.

So? Any ideas?

Thank you

Capture.JPG

Couple of things...

If you want Normalize spline to have specific vertex types, then add an Edit Spline after you use Normalize Spline and change whatever you want. Normalize Spline is usually used to create a regular interval along the spline and it tends to ignore corner locations in order to keep this regular interval.

I would strongly suggest you take to modelling, furniture especially, but all things as they are built. In the end it will look the best and be the most satisfying outcome. That said, furniture makers aren't in the practice of bending wood around 90 degree corners. Use a separate line for the vertical piece.

Splines don't tend to have a unified normal so I don't think, baring luck, you will ever get this method to work in this case. Mapping is also going to be tough if you do, so really, just build it they way the real thing is built.

• 2 weeks later...

I drew an arc in the top viewport. Copied it up in the left viewport. Converted it to an editable spline. Attached the two together. Went in to vertex mode and connected the two splines together. Drew a sweep profile and swept it and hey presto! It all seemed fine. No twists etc, with banking on.

I think it's your mirroring of the spline. That to me sounds like your problem. Quickly try that method and see if it works......