Artwork Used in Renders Copyright Question

kevinmcgowan

• Administrators
Same thing probably applies for model collections. It sure looks like a Kitchen Aid appliance, but most of the smart companies will leave the logo and name off.

Kitchen Aid claimed their design was so iconic that making money from the shape (ie 3d model) was an infringement of their copyright. I think Turbosquid among others had received take down notices, but I see the Kitchen Aid mixer is on the TS site now, so I'm not sure what ever came of their efforts.

This is such a vague area, and something I'm always wary of. With regards to art work, there are plenty of free sources, and if you can, take your own pictures.

For things like 3D models, the problem is you aren't technically copying the items, you are creating a 3D representation of them. For example with cars, you aren't copying the car, and reproducing the car in real life, and then trying to sell it You are selling a representation of the real object. If this was copy right infringement, then anyone ever who photographed, drew, or 3D modelled anything which is copy right protected then they would be sued.

As for slightly altering models so they aren't "exact" is very pointless. If this was true, don't you think people would copy the iphone and stick a different logo on it?!

In terms of 3D, it's just as pointless. 3D Ocean have this policy when you slightly alter the 3D version, and in my opinion is totally pointless. If it were copy right infringement, it wouldn't make a difference if you changed the Apple logo for a pear logo!!

The whole thing about TV shows covering up logos probably isn't down to copyright, it's more likely that the TV channel relies on advertising as income, and doesn't want to endorse any product that they aren't being paid for. Product placement is now legal in the UK, where companies can pay TV channels to use their products in TV shows.

Anyway, that's my opinion, if you're unsure seek legal advice!!

• 10 years later...

I know this topic is old, but I wanted to get some more light on the issue.

We did have a problem using one painting from a local artist in Atlanta. He asked the developer (which insisted we used that specific painting) to either pay him a fee, or be sued.

My question here is about more traditional art like Picassos, Dali, etc.

Edited by Sidney T Coelho

• 3 months later...

You should always explicitly ask the original owner for permission, its as simple as that. Artist, Designer, Photographer etc.

For example using Picasso's work you need to contact the Picasso Administration

The only use case which is acceptable is any piece of content that has a plain and clear Royalty Free or CC0 license type. Royalty Free may come with additional use cases from the owner such as where/how the work can be used for free, if you need to mention the owner in the published work etc. It also implies different things in different countries.

CC0 is by far the most safest license type as it allows, written here in this article

"CC0 helps solve this problem by giving creators a way to waive all their copyright and related rights in their works to the fullest extent allowed by law."

Edited by James Vella