Why AutoCAD architecture in Bulding Design Suite Premium

P.R.S. Sivakumar .

Hello everybody

I have just cross graded from AutoCAD 2013 to Autodesk Building Design Premiuim suite 2013 under a ve5ry special promotional offer at a very low price. In this suite apart from AutoCAD, Revit, Autodesk Showcase, 3dsmax Design, etc., AutoCAD Architecture is also included.

When REVIT 2013 is included, why again AutoCAD Architecture? IMHO, from several forum posts and several Google searches I have found that AutoCAD Architecture is considered to be a much inferior BIM solution than REVIT. It also seems that in BIM, REVIT rules the world. I do not understand why then is AutoCAD Architecture is included in the suite. Are still major Architectural Firms out there who use this as BIM solution instead of REVIT ? Is AutoCAD Architecture still considered as a BIM solution? I have not yet installed this suite. Should I skip AutoCAD Architecture while installing the suite? I do not want to overload my computer. I would be skipping Navisworks too).

Thanks in advance

PRSS

PRSS

It makes sense to include AutoCAD Architecture and AutoCAD in the Revit suite so you can check your dwg export/compatibility when coordinating with non-revit firms.

Design Suite standard doesn't include Revit and there are still many non-Revit based design studios. before autodesk bought Revit, they really touted AutoCAD Architecture as the premiere BIM solution and those that swallowed the hype have not exactly embraced Revit with open arms. A lot of marketing materials had to change once AutoDesk purchased Revit.