camera behind a portal light renders black area?

wannabeartist

Hi,

I need to render an interior scene where the camera is outside the building - this is so that I can use a more suitable focal length. I use clipping planes to cut out the wall closest to the camera.

This works great for regular walls, but I've got one wall with a window that has MR portal light on it: It seems that having the portal light between the interior and the camera causes part of the scene not to render at all (shows as a black rectangle) - funny enough, during FG the image looks fine, but once it starts to render it, part of the image turns completely black.

So the problem setup is:

camera >---- portal light --> (clipping plane) ---- geometry

If I remove the portal light, the image renders correctly, but of course with totally different lighting - is there anyway to keep the portal light and still get it to render correctly?

Hello.

I'm assuming your using an mr Sky Portal Light. In the advanced Parameters roll out there is a tick box called Visible To Renderer. Make sure this is not ticked and also make sure the Transparency: Colour is set to White.

If that doesn't help, can post an image of your problem and the light settings?

Thanks for the tips, guys!

It turned out to be the transparency color, which I had set to black and also the portal light was visible to renderer. There was no glass there to get rid of, this was purely misuse of portal light.

I did need to adjust the portal light's position a little. I had it just outside a window frame and once I got rid of the black area, I started getting the frame visible in the render, even though it's outside the clipping plane. Pushing the portal light to the inner edge of the frame solved that and I finally got a clean render.

Thanks again!

Having it visible to the camera and transparency of black will be why. I think even if it's not visible to camera it will cause a big black area where the light is if the transparency colour is black.

Glad i helped you fix it though, I don't even use mental ray! VRay is my renderer of choice. :-)