Autocad ARchitecture, Rhino 3D and Sketchup: which renderer should I chose?

martinengdahl

Like the title says.... :D

Im a 1st year architecture student, and I want to get a good workflow set up asap (we have no classes on how to make the best out of a combination of software). I would also love if anyone had any other ideas on what to do: we have access to other modelers, but the three mentioned are the ones that are widely used at our school. It would be preferable to get one single renderer that can be used with all three, but I guess that's normal, right?

Im looking to potentially getting photo realistic renders in the end btw.

Edited by martinengdahl
extra info

Hello Martin, All the programs you stated above are very good infact i doubt there's any that isn;t ;). Sketchup in my opinion is the most preferrable choice especially for those that are architecturally inclined. Very simple and esay to understand. Quick workflow when modelling and the best part is it allows you to bring up concepts almost as easy as you could sketch them in your book. With a few plugins you could add some organic modelling to the program. With the new vray version 2.0 thats about to be released you could do a lot more. Cheers and Good luck.

For those interested in creating photo-realistic renders from their SketchUp models, there were a number of commercial renderers represented in Boulder. After seeing some of the rendering shown there, I'm starting to think differently about using renders more often than I do.