Car Models - scale

mbr

Does anyone know where I can get the correct dimensions of some typical cars? All of the models I have (all free ones) import into Max at some incredibly small scale. Am I missing something?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, while I am at it, has anyone used the RPC cars? Are they quick to render.

hi mbr,

a good reference for any dimensions is NEUFERT's Architectur Data. Check it out at http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0632037768/qid=1028991278/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-8513520-7653408

Faults in dimension while importing are probably an issue between converting inches to centimetres. Common scale issues can be solved by scaling 254% if your model is too small, or 40% the other way around. It can also be a unit prob, so you have to scale 10% up or down to get it done.

RPC cars: I suggest you try it yourself. There is a free demo available at http://www.rpcnet.com/

rgds

nisus

Thanks for the help. I did look at Suurland's site - great stuff! The blueprint's helped tremendously. I just converted the cm to inches (1" = 2.54 cm), that worked. Silly me!

I also looked more thoroughly at the RPC stuff. Wow! I had missed the long explanation.

I did just buy some cars from http://www.cgdatabank.com/cdb2001e/home_j.shtml

that seem to of great quality, especially for $8.25!

8.25??????

Where the heck did you see that price?

RPC is one of the the greatest additions ever to come to cgarchitecture. However, I'm sure it would cost more than 8.25 to get a drink of water from the RPC people. The cars are their highest priced items as well. We have about 50 RPC trees and people but their cars cost too much.

Maybe when we start charging more for our renders......

Jeff

CAD draftsman and VIZ tinkerer

Detroit, MI - USA

Yes, I was refering to the models. I must say that they are exceptional, especially considering the price. Simple interiors, but for architectural renderings, it's adequate.

I will get those RPC files sometime, but right now $100/car is a little much, although the ability to animate them easily is fantastic!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jeff Mottle:

I think he was referring to the car models on the site of the link he provided. :) They are in yen, but work out to about $8 US.

So we complain about CG renderers dumping too-low renderings...but we rejoice at US$8 high poly car models?

Hummmm. The model do look good. Maybe they are hoping for a very high volume of sales, because $8 should only buy a few minutes of time with a talented modeler.

Ernest Burden III

I agree that $8 a car is really low. I would have paid much more for them, but was happy to just buy more. I was going to buy the some from www.turbosquid.com for around $50-100, but bought 11 of the cheaper ones (that are perfect for arch. viz, no unnecessary interior detailing, but enough to pass by and see seats, steering, etc.). I'd recommend buying 10 or so, and hopefully they'll make some US spec ones (not sure where they are, but the drive side is on the right, also the Lexus models are marked as Toyotas that I haven't heard of. European spec?). The RX-7 with spoiler is particularly nice!