Manager Problems

Devin Johnston

I have a dedicated computer that I use to manage jobs, recently we had the idea to put Windows Server 2000 on it to increase it's stability and file handling capabilities. The first few tests worked fine, but during the weekend I began to get the error "An unexpected exception has occurred in the network renderer and it is terminating". Eventually all of my slave machines errored out and nothing I did worked, so I changed manager machines to a computer running XP Pro, and everything worked fine. Has anyone ever seen this problem before, and is there a way to get Windows Server to work with slaves running XP Pro?

I just processed out about 30,000 frames for an animation, using the Max6 Scanline and Net Render, using 6 computers, some new, some old, some XP Pro (SP1), some 2000 Pro. Heck, one computer even had 128mb ram (it was better than nothing!). I experienced a problem similar to yours, though I don't remember exactly what it said. My problem was simply that I had the wrong output path saved. The manager was set to save the files to "my documents", which of course the other servers didn't have access to, and thus crashed the net render. Changed the output path, and it worked fine.

I'm sure this probably isn't your problem, as it sound like it works fine when run from a different computer (unless perhaps you changed the output path on the second attempt). I'm simply stating that I had no issues when mixing XP Pro and 2000 Pro.

I'm running a 2 GHz dual processor Xeon system with 1 gig of ram and a gigabit connection, running Windows Server 2000 with service pack 4 installed. Now when I start the Manager program I get a Runtime Error so I can't even run it as a manager any longer. All of my slave machines are running XP Pro with service pack 1 installed, everything works fine when running manager from any one of these machines. If I can't figure this out were just going to go back to running XP Pro on the manager machine.

All of my Win2000 systems were Professional, and all my XP systems were Pro as well. My manager computer was XP Pro SP1.

In regard to your Runtime Error, I assume you've done the obvious reboot? I know, stupid question, but it has to be asked.

Is this system your workstation (with Win2000 Server)? Or is it your network/file server as well? I don't really know much/anything about Server edition, but it seems like it would have a bunch of extra junk running that would take up resources. I was able to manage the render farm fine with XP Pro.

I haven't tried running the manager as a service yet, but I will give that a try if I can get it to run.

The computer was my old work station but I have a new system so I've moved it down the line and I only use it when I'm in a crunch. I have all of my maps and RPC's on another server so this computers only job is to manage the jobs. I think I'm going to just give in and re-install XP Pro and just assume that's the best performance I'm going to be able to get.

Thanks guy's for the help, I'll let you know if I get anywhere with this system.