npr technique?

the white witch

after searching for hours under which category it would be appropriate to place this thread...i gave up and put it here.. i hope people get to see it and respond:

the problem is this.. i downloaded this picture off this website some time ago and have been trying to find a way of getting this sort of result with my one of renderings....i suspect it is some sort of post production process (in pshop, probably..ernest burden does stuff like this..i.e..line drawings in motion..sketchy!! ) but i have been unable to decipher it ....pls anybody, help me out with a tut or explanation...

It would help to know what software your are using so we could be more specific in helping you.

In any case, I use C4D and I used their Sketch & Toon module to create these quick images.

I know MAX has a 'toon' shader built in, but don't know if you could use it to create 'sketchup' style renderings. There are also several third party plugins to create this effect, not sure what they're called though, sorry couldn't be of more help.

jackb602,

The first image is set up with a light dome and one distant light (sun) with hard shadows.

The second image has no lights. It just consists of a sky and the ambient occlusion shader for materials at different levels of gray to differentiate the base, walls and roof elements. (I tried radiosity on stochastic mode and gave similar results, except it was slower than this method)

Both use different S&T outline styles. I just picked the ones I liked from the presets. These were my first tries using S&T.

thought i'd chime in here....

the project was finished in a few hours, so dont get too picky about the roof lines...

this is and image i created with mental ray's contour shader.

it is very fast compared to max's ink n paint, even with advanced lighting....

chuck

thought i'd chime in here....

the project was finished in a few hours, so dont get too picky about the roof lines...

this is and image i created with mental ray's contour shader.

it is very fast compared to max's ink n paint, even with advanced lighting....

chuck

the image is nice, but i would ditch the blue sky in the background. go for a white or a lite gray.

C4D has a fairly effective free toon plugin you can download called 12point0 cartoon renderer.

the settings are a bit complicated and i havent had time to play with it, but here's a quick exmple of it rendered with C4D's resident cell renderer. it looks pretty handy -

(the only post photoshop work i did was to add some noise)

t.jpg

but here's a quick exmple of it rendered with C4D's resident cell renderer. it looks pretty handy -

(the only post photoshop work i did was to add some noise)

t.jpg

Strat

The results of the Cell renderer are bloody awful, don't you think! What's the point of presenting an image like that...looks like a 20th generation colour copy.

i like sketchup, but it can get really frustrating at times.

strat- i think some variable line weight would help out that rendering. if the lines in the background were thinner than those in the foreground it would read better. a thinner weight for windows and smaller details would help too.

it would be nice if a renderer could adjust line weight depending on distance from the camera....

chuck

Take a look at this link. It truly looks like Pen & Ink. It was done in Piranesi.http://www.informatix.co.uk/piranesi/gallery/pen_and_ink.jpg

the only thing giving it way that it might be a coputer image. 3 point perspective. with the exception of skyscrapers, i know very few traditional renderers that would go to the trouble of casting a 3 point perspective for a building this size.

Chuck,

What an excellent idea about line weight and distance. Now that's an idea I never thought about. I wonder if anyone is researching that for VRAY, Final Render or even for Max's rendering engine?

I haven't used any other toon renderers and I've only started to play with Mental Ray, but it does have different "contour shaders" to use. There are contours that are simple (fixed width), curvature (width based on difference in surface orientation), color-dependent (bright=thin, dark=thick), depth (as you mentioned), light orientation, and finally a "combi" shader which combines depthfade, layerthinner, and widthfromlight.

Most of that is quoted from the sketchy help file, as I don't have a lot of first hand experience with it yet, beyond the simple.

Bye the way, there are 3 camera shaders that allow the output of a composite view, a contour only view, or a postscript image which would be vector format.

I agree with an earlier post, the contour overlayed on a dirtmap image is greatness.

Colin

This is a small sample of the Vray toon effect. Whats nice about it is that you can give it real world thickness, like 1" or 1/4". So it does a really good job at giving a sense of depth, especially if you only have lines & no shading.

What I don't like about it is that you can't exclude/include certain layers. Its either off or on. But for me its really useful in the preliminary stages of rendering. I always use it before I start doing materials so the building is more defined and gives the client a better understanding of it because it showes more detail.

Is that done with the new version? I haven't downloaded the 1.45 release yet....That looks really cool!

-Chad

Yep, its version 1.45. Thats one of the things about the new version I really like. Here's another toon drawing straight out of vray with no shading. Really turned out good I think. For some reason though, it was pretty RAM intensive.

A thread as XSIbase had an interesting topic of using a toon shader and a dust shader to come up with a hand drawn image, no line overshoots, but one of their examples looked perhaps promising for initial architectural presentation. I will try it out when I figure out material settings (Just bought XSI, still learning) and how to apply them proficiently. This technique should work for anyone using mental ray, and may be applicable to other render engines/material editors.

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=14323;start=14