Max crashes often

Krisztian Gulyas

I know Max can be unstable, but lately it crashes every few hours when I work on something. Last time I have just moved an object and it froze, then closed, and after a crash my computer and Max (if I open it again) gets sooo slow. The scene is pretty heavy though, but the problem is just that or is there anything else that could cause those crashes?

Thanks

It's Max, it could be anything from bad Geo, a bad shader, bad stript, graphics driver, anything. You can try to merge the geo/lights/cameras into a new scene and see if that helps. Or use a lot of layers, or perhaps if your workflow allows, Xrefs, even though those are a pain to work with as well.

Start a fresh scene, and merge in a groups of objects and see if it an bad object, do this through the whole model it will help sort it out.

If you have not changed up updated anything lately.

I am finding the Evermotion collections from a few years back are causing awful issues, so strip out and bring them in one by one.

If the Geometry comes from another program, it could be Nitrous. I've noticed that A) realistic is always a terrible viewport shader for anything larger than a residential scene, and B) that imports from AutoCAD and other software in general can be a bit touchy. Often times switching back to Direct3D can be a lot faster. Likewise, if you are using Direct3D check out Nitrous. I have no idea one would work and not the other, but sometimes you have to play Max's games to get by.