THEA render VS V-Ray for interior visualization

Great idea!

"Let there be light V.2" - After 10 years of CG Evolution :-)

It would be a very interesting thread to see how the softwares have evolved.

I hope we can get some attention from Jeff Mottle couse I dont know if we have the authority to start this kind of thread, also we would need some old rendering views + .dxf .dwg files to start with.

edit: Forgot to ask, does Thea support distribute render?

Edited by del82

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, great discussion !

Imho Thea looks quite attractive to me, although I've chose different render engine currently Corona, it offers similar benefits, which for me are mostly these:

Flexibility between utmost quality through unbiased pathtracing (not possible with Vray brute force ) and optimized fast through biased means (( don't know what these engines are built upon in Thea, but in Corona it is Pathtracing plus HDCache (like LC) or even IR,etc..)).

Basically it's the best of of two different worlds, the physically corrent but slow and unflexible Maxwell, and flexible and fast, but with rigid options when it come to completely correct physical result in Vray.

Last but not least, additional renderers are becoming increasingly well integrated into native apps, for example Corona is at same level as Vray, making the switch total breeze.

The emergence of quality competition is so good, we finally see interesting developments. Vray 3, Maxwell 3, Corona renderers, Arnold, etc.. great things to come !

• 1 month later...

I have been admiring your work on the Corona forums Juraj, it is good to see a software that is still considered Alpha to be able to work at a production level.

I will be keeping my eye on Corona for sure, especially when introductory pricing is revealed and it goes commercial.

I own Thea myself, and while it is very well integrated into Max, I find the material interface to be somewhat disconnected from what I am used to with VRay and MentalRay. I think the biggest strength of Thea currently is in it's plugins for the various modeling software, and that is probably the reason behind the material editor interface being so foreign to me.

Thea has two unbiased CPU engines, one biased CPU engine, and two GPU engines. It reminds me a lot of VRay in this aspect, in that there are lots of methods and options to sort through to find the best solution to any given situation. It seems that Corona is much simpler in this respect as you have described it, something that appeals to me very much, although I do like being able to nerd out with the settings once in a while.

Seeing the competition build for renderers is refreshing. I wish something like this would happen for modeling apps.