Graphics card for GPU rendering, Nvidia gtx 680, gtx titan

genaart

Hi there,

I have a very quick question about GPU rendering (VrayRT and Cycles). Primarily I am going to make architectural stills and small fly through animation. Tesla/Quadro thing is way beyond my capabilities, so I am choosing between :

- one gtx titan (potential upgrade to two titans in one year)

- two gtx 680 (EVGA 4GB edition)

- two gtx 580

Questions:

- is it possible to make animations with VrayRT (10 to 30 sec)

- which of this Graphics cards will perform better

I know that Titan has 6Gb of Ram, but looking at this article I believe I can squeeze my scenes in 4GB.

http://jeffpatton.net/2011/07/iray-for-exteriors-update/

I also asking because I want be able to update my PC for at least 2 years.

My budget is 1000-1200$

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Dear art Pen,

Titan at this time (just launched) would be IMHO, an overkill. You would generally want to hear from others what it really is than become a guinea pig yourself because its many many dollars; till two years the GTX's (680s better than the rest, obviously) could suffice. And no, you may not be able to use RT for animations or at least I haven't yet known how you effectively can, unless you put a screen grabber hardware and keep pressing 'print screen' every 1/30 of a second, to capture all thirty frames per second.

I´m very satisfied with my GTX Titan, and have ordered one more.

It´s fast/silent/cool, with large amounts of Vram for complex scenes (6GB), same speed in Octane Render/Arion etc, but support for more textures then GTX690 (244), and all in a single GPU.

Fantastic card, and by the way Vray RT can animate just fine.

"V-Ray RT supports and reacts to the following animation types:

Camera animation;

Object animation (move/rotate/scale; deformations);

Material animation;

Lights animation."

Vray RT can animate just fine.

"V-Ray RT supports and reacts to the following animation types:

Camera animation;

Object animation (move/rotate/scale; deformations);

Material animation;

Lights animation."

Didn't know that, thanks for pointing out. Of course, with active shade enabled Max render setup disables all rendering options, so what you do to get animation out of RT will open up a secret to me. :)

What I meant for Titan was the huge premium they charge for a new chip/card. Its double of top of the line GTX680, so in effect you get two 680s and with double the tank capacity (RAM) as well as SLI it could just make life better (with added insurance if/when one goes bad at least the other card being with you - you never know.....)

Edited by umeshraut

Since Titan is a single GPU you can use all 6gb of the Vram, in SLI you will only get max 4Gb if the cards are 4gb each, since the GPU renderer will not add 2x4gb into 8gb.

Less power consumption too.

Why not get 2 Titans :), I´m considering a new MB that has space for 3 just in case.

You can setup Vray RT as the main renderer too, but some settings will be greyed out, and dialogs for render elements etc is not there I think, I use Octane Render so not to sure though.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I like the way discussion goin on. Actually since a long i am searching for a graphic card for my old system as below

CPU - Core 2 Quard Q6600 2.4 GHz

Motherboaed - Asus P5WDG2 WS professional

Memmoey - 8 GB

Graphic card - Quadro FX 3400 with 256 MB Ram. ( This was my previous graphic card which is now not working )

Can you people suggest me what should i go for. I read all detailed about GTX and Quadro and i think i should go for GTX 680 with 2GB but still confused.

Basically i want a good workstation. But as this one become very old as speed and performace i am thinking to buy new one with i7 or Xeon + 16 or 24 GB + highend graphic card etc, My actual work is 3D architectural animation and VFX for commercial advertisement. Now suggest me which graphic card should i buy for my old system so i can properly work with it. I dont want to go for graphic card which is higher than my other components like my CPU and motherboard otherwise there will be excessive GPU and ram which wont work ( am I right? ). What about GTX 680 2GB? Please guide me i want to buy it since long and lots of time went wrong. Thank you to all. My main problem is vegitation and rendering with Vray RT

Kindly guide me and thank you for reading my Q, Please answer.

Do you intend to do any GPU rendering on it? (GPU rendering is not often used for animation...)

Assuming you don't, you don't need a very high end video card unless you are working with models much more complex than is normal for architecture work. Something like a Geforce 760 or 770 or a Radeon 7850 or 7950, for example, is more than enough.

• 2 months later...

why dont u use iray instead of vrayrt? im not sure about vray but there is one thing u need to know about iray.. the scene must fit into cards memory, 8M polys is approx 1gb, thats without textures and other effects.. if ur scene doesnt fit in ur cards memory, it will automatically skip to the next card. if the next card doesnt have more memory than the 1st card it will skip that too and go on with cpu only..

and u dont need to SLI ur cards in iray, they just need to be in the slot.. u dont even need drivers for it, u just need drivers for ur first card which is used by windows and ur cards dont have to be same model.. they just need to be cuda cards. oh and avoid dual gpu cards