Volkswagen Passat | Render and Making Of

diegopeixoto

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I always like seeing process video's, it makes you realize just how interactive the process is. I have a few issues with the scene, first let me say I think it looks good however it looks off and I'll tell you why. The car has no motion blur and I know you wanted it that way so you can see all the details, if that's the case then everything else should also be as crisp as the car. The wheels are blurred too much as is the background and it makes the car look like it's not really in the scene. My second observation is the side of the car facing the camera is too bright, almost like there's a spot light hitting it. Since the sun is coming from the opposite direction the car would be mostly in shadow, this also contributes to it looking like it's not a part of the scene. The water bothers me, again it's too bright and well defined and it's not reflecting the car. There also doesn't seem to be any shadow cast by the car even though the sun should obviously be casting one. If you make these changes you'll have a much more realistic image, keep trying.

I'd disagree with you Devin. The road should be way more blurred. The illusion you want to give is that you are travelling at the same speed as the car and the camera man has a very steady hand...

Therefore the road would be rushing by, most nearest the camera. The hokey water and road surface would be excused then also, as it would be a mass of MB.

It was interesting to see a crash/max-hang in the video.

the test renders look better IMO

you ruined it in photoshop. the background and road / slime combination dont work either, image aspect could be more generous as the framing feels tight.

id say photoreference here is very important here - you are nearly there though!

It's a great effort for a first time render so well done. Aside from the obvious all mentioned above my tip would be for you to save out a VRayWireColor element next time to save you from those selections you hand drew. I reckon you could have saves yourself 10 minutes in post just by having this element!

I like your colour adjustments. :-)