Lumion

Helen Ni

If people think that Luminon will completely replace Max, I've got some ocean front property in South Dakota I can sell them on the cheap. I know a guy who knows a guy.

You can't model in Luminon and I'm yet to be overly impressed by it. The good looking projects are all simple so it runs well. Throw a real world project at it and you get low FPS and it's laggy. Could Luminon replace something like iRay or Vray R/T? Maybe. But it will never replace Max.

I seem to recalled the "render killer" TwinMotion coming out to much fanfare.

I've got some ocean front property in South Dakota I can sell them on the cheap.

I alctually did some mountain baking vacation in south Dakota not to long ago and I really like the place, not sure for living but beautifull environment.

funny joke any ways ;)

I seem to recalled the "render killer" TwinMotion coming out to much fanfare.

now this was the biges joke ever!

I think all this software, will have a big impact in our profession, just like 3D stereos paraphernalia, is new, is hot, bla bla bla, nowadays there is a big awareness of visualization of any type, and when people that does not know anything about, it, and see this propaganda, they fall easy, and maybe for theirs simple need it may work.

but there is always a limit and that why 3dMax,CInema 4D and software a like been in the market for a while, and when they fail you have Maya, Softimage, Houdini and more.

so to Frontop question, nop it wont replace any 3D software, the real question IMO is how long it will last.

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing 3dsmax is nonsense. Maybe price-wise but not technically. ;)

I'm a heavy Lumion user since first day and indeed it is a good tool filling the gap between high-end animation and cost sensitive clients needing good looking solutions for a fair budget.

Lumion got work intensive with its planar reflections and GI since version 3.0 but still lacks of multi-GPU support. On the other hand my two Titan GPUs are eating frames for breakfast using Octane Render so I start to move with with my animations a bit more back to the classical approach.

This may shift back again if Lumion got better multi-gpu support.

You can take a look at my YouTube channel for movie made with Lumion. Also some large scale projects are there.

I also made a first runner up for a lumion contest you can watch there:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pure3dviz

Thanks Devin.

Workflow is pretty easy: You model your geometry based on your plans or like you work. Then unwrap (box unwrapping could be also done in Lumion) if needed and apply some standard materials. Then export to Lumion. Lumion can lift pretty high-poly models and has a solid import. I think even from Revit or Sketchup. Then you adjust your materials with sliders and use the library to populate your scene with additional content.

If you need a movie you can make camera-paths like if you operate a real camera. Then add some built-in post-effects and render to a movie or single screenshots. I do single screenshots and make some post editing in AE usually.

Rendering speed depends on the nature of the used effect or quality level. Ususally around 8-13sec a frame in best quality. But I also saw people with GI, planar reflections and extra lights telling about 30sec for a frame in FullHD. Really depends. All in all it is quite fast for most scenes. But like many people critize it is no classical renderer in terms of quality. At some point you can only gain speed if you loose quality. But I think it is well balanced and depends on the artist (as usual). Mostly the time involved for good materials and post makes the difference.

• 4 months later...