SU2MAX. very dense geometry (well, lots of individual bits) making workflow slow

Hi,

as above. was wondering what the workflow to deal with this is. It comes in as bitty pieces of geometry (thousands of them) and the viewport is slow, max is running like its molasses.

I've tried exporting 3ds/fbx/obj and its more or less the same.

can someone advise the workflow any maxscript they use? I'd collapse them all (with Dang's Script) but its slow as.

hey justin, using the 2012. also have 2013. It comes in instanced but there's 58,000+ objects and even with instances its slow in the view port. DWG? Its got lots of mullions and whatnot - not my model and I'm not familiar with SU but its a pain. Trying to collapse geometry via materials and its sluggish and each step is slow.

I'll try DWG.

Well the best option is import inside max with the sketchup importer as mentioned by Justin, this will keep the instances and grups saving memory, now most of the time people are not well organized while modeling on sketchup and you end up with a very nasty mesh so that's a pain.

what I ussually do is open the file on sketchup and delete all views, hide all furniture and extras, such trees, people and what not.

Then only with the building selected I flip all faces to be oriented the right way, and export as 3ds, by materials, keeping uv maps.

then once in Max I collapse all mesh that can be related, mullions, windows, similar walls, and so on, Max perform better with a few million poly object than million of objects. After everything is optimised I inport the furniture and extras via sketchup importer in max, that way all similar furniture stay as instance.

But even with all this yes from time to time you'll fine a big scene that no matter what will be slow to work on it, try to separate in layers or exrefs will help too.