Revit 7.0

czoog

Revit 7.0 is due out October 25th.

Autodesk has released a few teaser images on the Augi forums. We haven't seen any official "what's new" documents

So far we have seen:

Vector Based shadows!!

3dview1.gif

Massing tool improvements

massing4.gif

Site tool improvements

Text tool improvements

A revision tracking system

schedule improvements

jogged sections

the list goes on....

cool :)

OH....My.....LORD!

Thanks for the heads up Czoog! :D

Wow, those modeleing improvement certainly was the one I was MOST eagerly anticipated feature, I have requested numerous time, and from the screen shot it looks like you can FINALLY model ANYTHING you want with Revit..! Awesome :D (

The Real-time shadow certainly is a welcome tool, I would certainly love to try it out. (Although I would still prefer sketchup's shadow...)

And to get it so soon!! wow I can't wait.. 3 weeks more ..... :D

WOW !

That is so awesome, I was hoping for some shadows ! I do like the SU shadows better, but this works very well. As far as the modeler, I cant wait to try it out !! I am very excited about this release. I will be flighing to Cali or IL for some revit 7 update training (I have to finish my revit training period)

BTW

Revit 7.0 is due out October 25th.

Autodesk has released a few teaser images on the Augi forums. We haven't seen any official "what's new" documents

So far we have seen:

Vector Based shadows!!

3dview1.gif

Massing tool improvements

massing4.gif

Site tool improvements

Text tool improvements

A revision tracking system

schedule improvements

jogged sections

the list goes on....

cool :)

Hello, wich is better, and what for: REvit or ADT?

thanks

you should have a look at triforma microstation's version, it is really very good, if not on a par.

Can't say which is better.would be interested in hearing from someone who has used them both.

Gaa... Triforma is a HUGE effort to set up and use correctly compared to Revit. Triforma is very advanced and has many many capabilities, but Revit does most of the same stuff and you don't need a CS degree to operate Revit.

...a look at triforma microstation's version, it is really very good, if not on a par...
warning...inflammatory comment... Bentley can't even spell Architecture let alone compare to Revit. Just my opinion mind you. Without Revit I'd use ArchiCAD or...gulp...ADT before I'd get near Triforma.

I agree totally. I have "tried" to use triforma without much success. Revit just seems to work for me. :)

alvstel & brvitorino, please refrain from asking those kind of question in here. Those kind of questions are consider flame-bait. For your question, there is no such thing as "better", it's all subjective. Just whatever tool makes you work faster and better.

computer science ;)

Cesar was porbably thinking "counter-strike" (the online game)?!! :)

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a partner in a very large corporate architecrue firm in Houston (150+ employees). They get jobs of the 500,000+ sf area. He said the firm tried Revit & Desktop but neither could handle the massive BIM generated for the projects. They're using standard Autocad just like our firm (15 people). Any idea what kind of hardware you need to really run one of these huge projects through Revit or Dekstop or even Archicad for that matter? I'd be interested to know.

Any idea what kind of hardware you need to really run one of these huge projects through Revit or Dekstop or even Archicad for that matter? I'd be interested to know.

as fast as you can afford, just like the rendering game, more is better ;)

We run it on Single Xeon's at 2.8 ghz with 2 gigs of ram and nvidia quadro FX 500 to 1000's, my workstation is at Dual Xeon 2.66 with 2 gig of ram. our slowest machine is a athlon 2400xp with a gig, which works well on all but our largest jobs.

As far as large projects, it's all relative depending on how detailed the building is, and the relationships you create. We did a 500,000 sf warehouse addition that barely taxed our computers, but a 30,000sf Residential clubhouse, with all t's detail, can take more resources.

Typically, our "largest" jobs are 100 to 200 unit apartment buildings, that range from 80,000sf to 200,000 sf. These project can slow to a crawl if you do not make efficient use of worksets.

The freedom tower, currently the worlds tallest building, contains millions of square feet of office space, SOM was running dual xeon 3.2 ghz with 2 gigs of ram if I am not mistaken. The model seemed to move reasonably well.

-Z

Cesar was porbably thinking "counter-strike" (the online game)?!! :)

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a partner in a very large corporate architecrue firm in Houston (150+ employees). They get jobs of the 500,000+ sf area. He said the firm tried Revit & Desktop but neither could handle the massive BIM generated for the projects. They're using standard Autocad just like our firm (15 people). Any idea what kind of hardware you need to really run one of these huge projects through Revit or Dekstop or even Archicad for that matter? I'd be interested to know.

It's really not a matter of the size of the building. I could probably have a cartoon set of drawings including basic elevations, sections, plans completed in Revit for 500,000SF of retail or office buildings in a couple of days. Once you start adding in a lot of trim and details into the model it would slow down. It would then turn into a management issue. You would need to ensure proper adherence to some sort of file management regime...basically, using linked drawings and worksets and selective opening.

well I just installed revit on my new dell ;)

dont ask lol,

and I loaded the "reseach lab" sample file. The model moves extremely well in 2d and 3D.

I am on an Dimension 8400

P4 3.0Ghz with 1G of DD2 533

The Gfx is an ATI Radeon X300 (I know I need to replace it)

But I am pretty happy with the way "I think" my projects are going to move when I start working on them.

The question as to "which is better" (ADT, Revit, ArchiCAD, Triforma) cannot be answered. It depends on what you do and how you work and on personal preferences. You can make a living on each of them and you can get productive either.

My personal order would be something like:

1 - ArchiCAD (I just got r9 and it is a good update)

2 - Revit (close second - getting closer)

3 - Triforma/Bentley Architecture

4 - ADT (if I can start from well prepared templates and styles)

I don't like to judge other BIM/Archictural-CAD applications (Allplan, Arc+, Arkey, VectorWorks-Architecture, BricsCAD Architecturals, ...)

And after that all non-BIM and non-architectural applications. But then again, I am thinking as an architect and not as an engineering firm with 50 employees, because AutoCAD or Microstation as such would have more advantages.

The freedom tower, currently the worlds tallest building, contains millions of square feet of office space, SOM was running dual xeon 3.2 ghz with 2 gigs of ram if I am not mistaken. The model seemed to move reasonably well.

-Z

"The freedom tower, currently the worlds tallest building" ????????

:confused:

How can it be the world's tallest building if it hasn't even been built yet? I always thought that as far as that debate goes, until any other project goes from paper to mortar, the argument begins and ends with Petronas Towers (shortly to be overtaken by KPF's Shanghai Financial Centre, and Taipei 101, both slated for completetion in the last quarter of this year.)

http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/tp/wo/

And please don't give me the "it's planned to be the world's tallest building when it is completed" argument, because that's not true neither. Due to all the obvious wrangling going on right now between Silverstein, Liebskind, Childs and the LMDC, the earliest feasible forecast right now for the completion of the Freedom Tower (which was originally slated for completion in 2008,) is 2009. This would put it about a year after the planned completion of the Burj Arab in Dubai which will then be the tallest building in the world (suspected to be in the region of 2313 feet), even taller than Freedom Tower at its completion. And there are another 3 or 4 other proposed buildings in Dubai as well, also planned to go higher than that in addition to a tower in India and Brazil that have also been proposed that will surpass the Freedom Tower. However, unlike these latter examples, the Burj Arab proposal has been approved and it's already in the construction phase solidly slated for completion in early 2008.

So basically the Freedom Tower is not now, nor will it even be when its completed, the world's tallest building.

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?2063133