How to build a personal rendering platfrom and estimate the rendering time?

davischeng

Hello Everyone:

I am a interior and arch-viz freelancer from Taiwan. Here is my website:

http://www.studio-taku.tw/

In my projects, I was always suffering from long and uncontrollable rendering time. Images are rendered on separated standalone i7-workstations. I would like to know how to combined these workstations to build a more efficient procedure, not only for final renders but also for works in progress. Does anyone could share similar experiences or directions, for example, V-Ray Distributed Rendering or Backburner or other ideas. I will be very appreciated about the big help.

Besides, how long does it take in average to render a 2000*1500px images of a 30 meter square interior? How to estimate the total hours in order to control and promise the delivery time?

Thanks and regards,

Davis

I think if you have a number of i7 machines you should be looking at using vray DR for distributed renders and backburner for queing images to render.

Its impossible to say how long your renders should take without some more information. Your images look to be pretty high quality allready. Perhaps look into making sure you understand vray and what makes it tick.

On a current gen i7 a 2000 x 1500 image could take anywhere from 20 mins to 6 hrs to complete...

Thank you for replying. I think I will make a good progress if I can successfully use a network rendering instead of stand alone renderings. I used to try vray DR. All texture files are saved on one machine, and they are accessible by others using UNC paths like "\\server\textures\..." in Asset Tracking dialog. Unfortunately the buckets were incorrectly rendered except those in local machine. I have no idea about what's wrong on it. Should I go further into vray DR? Or Should I use backburner instead? Can both of them be used together? Is there any recommended guide to read? Thank you for the help.

Best regards,

Davis