Jeff Mottle

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow 18k LOL

get mac air for the entire family and block for that

we recently got 3 x dual 8 core 3.1gz xeons E5-2687W

64gb RAM, windows, server MB, build, installation etc for around 7k AUD each....

they dont have GPUs though so add another grand or so for that and a better HDD.

just cant justify boxx TBH...in australia we can barely even get them. have to buy from sydney distributor, they dont bother replying for 3 weeks, they dont have online prices available. basically i think they are a scam. if getting an off the shelf i would go for one of the HP workstations - had good experiences with them.

/bucket rant

Second the HP workstations, we have the Z800 dual xeons, only I hate the crappy quatro it ships with.

For the farm we have got shuttles which work great and have a nice small footprint, especially when they are stacked on top of each other.

jhv

wow 18k LOL

get mac air for the entire family and block for that

we recently got 3 x dual 8 core 3.1gz xeons E5-2687W

64gb RAM, windows, server MB, build, installation etc for around 7k AUD each....

they dont have GPUs though so add another grand or so for that and a better HDD.

just cant justify boxx TBH...in australia we can barely even get them. have to buy from sydney distributor, they dont bother replying for 3 weeks, they dont have online prices available. basically i think they are a scam. if getting an off the shelf i would go for one of the HP workstations - had good experiences with them.

/bucket rant

Indeed, It lists "Dual Xeon (2.0GHz) CPU

16GB DDR3-1600

NVIDIA Quadro 600

500GB SATA Hard Drive

20X Dual Layer DVD RW

MS Windows 7 Pro" for 16k, which altogether costs slightly higher than 2000 euros here.

I bought very similar workstation to yours, although just E5-2670 (couldn't justify that additional price...), 64 ECC ram, K4000, FractalXL, 800W Corsair, 256 GB SSD, and after tax retract (I am company) it cost me 3600 euros. That's how low you can get with self-built if you buy from whole-sale. Thanks to that, I also got 3-year warranty on each component.

If I was in retail, I would opt for whole-sale HP or Dell.

Edited by RyderSK
typo

Dell has been a slight pain for us. Prob just a bad sales person that was assigned to our business account though. We got them to change the personal when we bought a fair bit of monitors recently. been good since.

ditto on that.

Indeed, It lists "Dual Xeon (2.0GHz) CPU

16GB DDR3-1600

NVIDIA Quadro 600

500GB SATA Hard Drive

20X Dual Layer DVD RW

MS Windows 7 Pro" for 16k, which altogether costs slightly higher than 2000 euros here.

I bought very similar workstation to yours, although just E5-2670 (couldn't justify that additional price...), 64 ECC ram, K4000, FractalXL, 800W Corsair, 256 GB SSD, and after tax retract (I am company) it cost me 3600 euros. That's how low you can get with self-built if you buy from whole-sale. Thanks to that, I also got 3-year warranty on each component.

If I was in retail, I would opt for whole-sale HP or Dell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this seems like a nice thread to ask my question. Currently i'm running a Asus Crosshair V forumula, and and AMD Vishera 8 core.

Now I tried to look this up but these are 8 physical cores, so not hyper threated. Rendering wise is this better or would it be better in the near future to buy a 6 core with hyper threading? ( 12 cores = 12 buckets right? ).

Vishera with a decent o/c can match or even surpass a Sandy i7 quad, but has little to nothing to compare to a 6C Sandy which is "50% more processor".

The gap will widen probably with the new, ivy bridge based s2011 hexacores that will be out before the end of the year.

Now, if you want to "contain" your workflow in a single box with a single CPU, then there is nothing "faster" than a 6C intel i7.

Only really expensive systems with 2x Xeons can be sufficiently faster than a middly overclocked 39xx CPU today.

If you can work with render nodes and the 32GB ceiling for RAM suffices, probably the best bet (highest value) is a quad i7 workstation, and a number of 4C/8T intel or 8C vishera render nodes.