Using target lights to replicate a daylight system

adamdabrowski

Hey,

I'm trying to cut down render time by using target lights instead of a daylight system. Basically what I have is an internal scene that is lit from the outside (with a daylight system and MR sky portals) but my render time is really really long.

Does anyone know if there is a good way to replicate a daylight system and if so, how can I do it. My assignment is due in a week and need help ASAP.

Cheers in advance,

Adam

• 6 months later...

Hi Adam,

im not a veteran member, I'm just a newbie but here is what i noticed on my last project.

Project Details:

1. Daylight System

2. IES light (to add a bit of interior light on some geometry

Results:

Incredibly long render times.

I removed the IES light, and I also turned on "Target"

Im can't tell you exactly where to turn the target option on as I'm not in front of 3Ds Max right now. But if you select the sun in the daylight system then check your Modify tab, in there you will find a way to Target your sun photons. Once you check that option you will see that your sun now has a Visual Representation in the viewport of the targeted area.

I mention this because i think this also helps with render times. Also, make sure your scene has a ground plane so the sun outside has a surface to bounce off.