C4D Candle (wax sss and static flame) Help!

hey guys. I'm trying to do a realistic candle for use in still shots, so no need for animated fire or anything like that. I have a very rough model and I'm mainly trying to figure out the SSS right now. it looks reasonably good but I want it to be a lot more translucent. there isn't a clear value I can see to affect that (I'm using Vray advanced material SSS layer)

Il keep at it but if anyone has any Ideas i'll be happy to hear them.

here's what it looks like right now:

candle_1.jpg

still at this. here's how far I've got:

Candle_4.jpg

I'm using omni lights (vray) on top of each candle in that one. it looks ok but i would prefer if it didn't burn out so much (I need to keep it high so that it will push through the wax, but its so high that it burns out too much at the top).

I'm doing some testing with Vray area lights instead but not much joy so far. the second issue is my boss wants these to actually function properly in any scene (e.g. that they create light in the scene like real candles) I'm having trouble getting the light to properly illuminate its surroundings AND look good on the candle at the same time...

any help is appreciated, I'll post back If I figure anything out...

SSS can be slow to render. In stills it's usually fine, but animation can be a problem. I've done candles by mapping a gradient with noise along it's length as a luminosity layer. I've put an omni or smallish area light above the candle (higher than reality) and added an animated noise to that so the candles cast flickering light.

yeah, I did exactly that in one of my tests and it did look quite good. my boss was keener on the SSS in the end. its all for stills so were not too concerned about render time. I had the small omnis like you say but I was asked to figure out a way where i could get the desired effect and also have the candles light the environment around them. that was the closest I could get. used Area lights in the end.

• 2 months later...