Revit 2014 to Cinema 4D R12

Hi All,

I'm testing out going from Revit to C4D (converting over from ArchiCAD but not ready to jump in to 3DS just yet) and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with a good workflow for this? I've tried both FBX and DXF, but C4D wont read 99% of the geometry from DXF (I know the file is good, it works fine importing to Rhino and 3DS). With FBX, everything comes in but the scale is off, and no matter how I modify the scale, any textures applied will not scale at all. For example, I have a brick wall that came in as 1"x12", and even after scaling the model so its properly sized to 10'x120' as well as tweaking the texture size, one brick is the size of the entire wall.

Got spoiled with the ease of going from AC to C4D.

Thanks for the help!

Just realized also when applying materials to objects that all material information from Revit is gone, so a window family in Revit with glass and aluminum elements becomes one polygonal element in C4D....requiring manual separation to apply different materials. If this is how it is, looks like Ill be learning 3DS after all...or just going back to rendering in Artlantis.

For reference, in case anyone is interested, I've just discovered that if you first take the FBX from Revit into 3DS, then re-export as FBX and bring that one into C4D, all material references are still associated and you can easily swap out C4D shaders. Scale is correct and shaders behave properly. Not the most elegant solution but it's all I've been able to get so far.

Definitely working between ArchiCAD and Cinema 4d will be less painful, cinema 4D has a great interaction with archiCAD not that much with Autodesk product, spitting anything from REVIT is always a pain, mostly because Autodesk is very strict regarding sharing theirs codes so is hard for other developers to do a straight froward interactions. Most likely from REVIT you won't get any materials and the whole mesh will be sideways. but you'll get every element separate with a corresponding name, so you can group by name collapse and go from there.

DXF is very limited and the mesh usually triangulate more than need it, it is useful to export 2d lines thou.

I didn't know about opening in max and exporting from Max as FBX will translate the material that's a good trick thanks for sharing.

Now if you have 3dMax and most of your work will be done from REVIT, well I would recommend to use Max then, it will give you less headache regarding interaction with other Autodesk products.

• 4 months later...