Environment/Background Camera Map - help

Cesar R

I am trying to warp my heard around what this does?

I am have been reading the help and I see that it attaches an images to the camera to be used as a background, but in all my testing it seems to produce incorrect reflections.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-FC1E1B94-5B60-41A5-8948-D0676702A767.htm,topicNumber=d30e3986

When would this map be used and how?

• 2 weeks later...

They say you don't really know something until you teach it to someone else, so, i'll try :)

Environment/Background Camera Map is just one step in integrating CG objects onto a real world backplate (everything i'm writing here is for Mental ray, offcourse).

Work flow, or at least one of the work flows, would be this:

1. set a photo as viewport backround (make sure viewport aspect ratio matches photo resolution)

2. hit "8", for environment map set "Environment/Background Switcher"

2.1. in there for background set Environment/Background Camera Map

2.1.1. in there for Map set same photo as viewport background, and set it on Environ with Screen mapping

2.2. for Environment/Reflection set a photo that is used for reflection (if 360° panorama then everything is OK, if not,
Environment Probe/Chrome Ball can be used to "cheat")

3. in Matte/Shadow/Reflection material for Camera Mapped Background set instance of Environment/Background Camera Map (same one that is in Environment/Background Switcher for Background).

Note: if using physical glass preset (or material set in the same manner) and backplate must be visible through it, then plate onto which mip_matteshadow material is applied must be positioned so that it is visible through the glass.

I hope i was clear enough :)