Problem Saving Giant render

amer abidi

In a bit of a tight spot. I'm trying to save a huge (23622x8858 pixels) render, and max seems to crash not when i render, but after the render is complete and i try to save the file! I have been trying to save as TIF unsuccessfully where max just goes in to that milky state (windows 8) with the rotating wheel rotating indefinitely.

Im in a bit of a tight spot time wise, so repeating this render over and over again is becomning very time consuming. I need to save it and send t the printers ASAP! saving on local drive.

Any Ideas?

Hi Amer, have you tried rendering with Backburner?

If you use it in a way that the render saves automatically maybe that will work... Also Backburner has the SPLIT RENDER option, in which you can establish that it will render the image in 4 strips (or any number), and when every strip is rendered it will save them as a separate file (smaller files which most likely will not give you that problem the you are having with the oversized image). Also there is an option to automatically join them together... Is good to check the option to "not delete the strip images" (or somethinf named like that), so if you do that, you can have the 4 individual files and join them in Photoshop, and save your final image without a problem....

Hope that helps..., let me know.

Just out of curiosity, how much time does it take your computer to render that BIG 20 thousand pix image? What CPU and how much RAM do you have?

Thanks Javier, I have tried rendering to backburner with the same problem. It only hangs when trying to save the file after render is complete.

I haven't tried the render to strips option though. What i did was test save a similar size render to jpg and it worked fine, so currently re-rendering the scene hoping it will save out to Jpg. will keep you posted.

As for render, it takes just under an hour on "the beast" =)

here is a snapshot for your info

check out the task manager! ;)

snap01.jpg

that is truly a beast...(is that a XEON and 64 gig RAM?...)

If this new test does not work, i think that the SPLIT option will definetely do it...

Also, (i have read), that if you try to save big images in .JPG (which is a compressed format), you can get into those kind of problems because the computer makes some extra work trying to compress during saving, and if it is such a big image, that might be the reason for max crashing...The recommendation was to save on an UNCOMPRESSED format as TIFF or PNG... I know you already tried with TIFF, but perhaps try it with PNG?

Are you MANUALLY saving the image when the render finishes? or have you selected the option "Save render on output" (or something named like that), so it saves automatically? Maybe..just maybe that could help?

saving manually or automatically produce the same result:Max freezes. Haven't tried png either, but the jpg option worked and made it just in time to the printers.

The thing is i was under the impression that TIFFs would handle bigger images better than a jpg, (which i think has a width limit of 30,000 pixels per image).

Yes dual 8core xeon HPz820, with 64gb Ram, aka, the Beast.

HyperThreading windows gives 32 cores maxing at 100% per render.