File Link Manager Problem (3ds Max Design 2013 x64)

bearsign

Hi,

I have a serious problem that has torn my workflow apart.

I work on a max file which has an AutoCAD DWG linked in. Everything is ok untill I exit and reopen 3ds Max file. When I do this, first it seems all fine, but if I want to change the included layers and reload the linked file again 3ds Max crashes the moment that I click Select Layers To Include Button.

Is there anybody having the same problem, is there a solution. Please help I'm almost desperate.

I'm working on Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite (Premium) 2013. Both AutoCAD and 3ds Max Design are up to date and I'm using 2013 file formats for both.

Hi Tom, I've flattened all the image, moved near the origin, used purge and only got my layers (which will be used as base for 3d modelling)... Still not working.

I've had an experiment now. I've created a new ACAD file with a few layers and objects in it. Linked it to 3dsmax, closed and reopened the file and seen no problem at all. It seems that the problem is acad DWG file itself. Unfortunately the base drawings are always in too bad conditions, don't know what to do... The drawing files were the same but working with the old version... Hopefully someone (or the new version) solves the problem...

Try creating a new and clean DWG, then in the old file, isolate the important (working) geometry and copy / paste into the new DWG. You might be dragging along a lot of garbage from the old files.

I'm not so sure about this one, but you could also try linking a DXF version of your file; are we talking 2D or 3D you are trying to link?

I stopped linking my CAD lines into Max because any straight line became segmented to whatever number of steps was pre-configured in Max, even if I tried turning this setting to 1 or 0. So I just import my DWG sorted By Layer and I delete and re-import the layer(s) that change in the DWG over and over; I keep a very tight and well organized system of layers.

Hope it helps.