3D work, tablets and productivity apps...

branskyj

Hi all,

I have always considered tablets to be a helpful toy for my leisure time. I had a Nexus 7 which I enjoyed for reading books and online browsing. Then I lost it.

I found out today at work they can be also used successfully for work too. I came upon Treesketch for iOS on our work IPad and as it appears it generates really nice trees on the fly.

I am looking into buying a new tablet and I don't really care which OS is behind it since it will be mostly used for 3D work. My question is- what other apps do you use on your tablets that you consider helpful for your 3D work (CAD as well).

I recently found the joys of the Panorama Viewers (for presenting 360 degree renders) and even though they only work on static bitmaps (no walk- through, simply rotating around in a jpeg) I count that one to be a productive 3D app as well.

You guys?

Any thoughts?

Much appreciated and have a good weekend.

My question was more about what other 3D productivity/ creativity apps do people use on their tablets, not really which one should I buy :)

You know- what app and what purpose does it serve to you.

I did some Google search but most of the discussed apps are about graphic design and 90 percent of those are indeed just many, many, many filters apps. I also stumbled across Autodesk mobile apps some of which I actually intend to use in future.

What about other gems like Treesketch and the various Panorama viewers?

Thanks for the response Krisztian.

Autodesk made some really good apps. Force effect (force effect motion - i dont know if its a different app), autodesk 360, inventor, autocad, buzzsaw, SketchBook - these are the one I found on Play Store. Google these to find out what you can use them for :).

EDIT: Oh, and I like Houzz. Actually you can only watch pictures of interiors and exteriors, but it's a really good source of ideas :)

Edited by krisztiangulyas

That one looks sweet- handy and productive.

And as it seems- it's code complete for Android as well (as of June 7, 2013) and will be released on the Google Play market soon.

being in the ArchViz field I am definitely getting this one.

Thanks for the input, John.

That is definitely another gem, Robert.

I just finished watching the video on Youtube and it made me think how long before point clouds are being handled on a tablet.

Just half a year ago I struggled big time maneuvering in Revit thanks to heavy point clouds. All that on the work computer.

If they manage to use the GPU in tablets for that... sky is the limit I guess. Especially with the ability to plug in a mouse to a Nexus 7 or 10.

Will definitely recommend this app at my work, the pro version is a bit steep for my pocket.

Thanks a lot for the find :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have an iPad but what's more useful is a proper Windows tablet to run full versions of programs. Right now I'm using a Thinkpad X61 tablet, which is few years old but does pretty well anyway. Got it used on eBay, the high res version, added a new battery and an SSD and it came to less than $500. The screen has a Wacom built it, flip it around and it's a tablet or pull out the pen and draw on it while using it as a laptop. Very useful for Photoshop, and I can use PDF Annotator to draw on PDF files and also draw on OneNote files. Of course, there are newer versions of the same concept.