No embedded Profile.

First of all, what i understand is that 3ds Max does not color manage. Does that mean the renders doesnt have an embedded profile in the image file?

And if so, should i assign my Photoshop RGB-profile (Adobe RGB 1998) to the image when i open it?

(ivé read that your image should have a profile assigned to it)

(I know this is an complex subject) But thanks for your answers!

/D

What color space does your monitor cover? The wider gamut of color your monitor can display the more you are going to notice color shift when you open your raw render in Photoshop.

If I want Photoshop to match the Max rendering then I assign the monitor profile to my image when I open it in Photoshop. This way it is viewing it the same way that Max is displaying it. After assigning the monitor profile convert the colors to AdobeRGB so that you are working in an industry standard color space.

Some will say this is a dangerous way of working but it by far the most effective method I have used to date.

Why would someone think your scheme is dangerous? I'm not up to the level of any of the experts here but I've been doing the same thing for as long as I can remember! Of course, my photo-editing skills come nowhere near the skills of pros, but for the little tweaks I manage to pull off, the embedded profile seems to work great if viewing an image on other computers/monitors and printed hard copies are any indication?

What are the downside risks?

What color space does your monitor cover? The wider gamut of color your monitor can display the more you are going to notice color shift when you open your raw render in Photoshop.

If I want Photoshop to match the Max rendering then I assign the monitor profile to my image when I open it in Photoshop. This way it is viewing it the same way that Max is displaying it. After assigning the monitor profile convert the colors to AdobeRGB so that you are working in an industry standard color space.

Some will say this is a dangerous way of working but it by far the most effective method I have used to date.

Why would someone think your scheme is dangerous?

This method is fine if you keep you calibration current and work in a small studio of less than 3-4 people. Beyond that you are going to begin to run into problems with user error and mismatches between users. If possible it is always best to stay in industry standard color space.