Making house plans using sketchup

You say "house plans"... You talking about a full set of architectural construction documents, or just a 3D model to play with?

You could do it in SketchUp, or you could go off the deep end and do it in Revit, but in all honesty no 'house' in America can justify the investment in money and the time it takes to learn Revit. SketchUp can be quirky - layer management is horrendous, but I've seen some off-the-wall architects do complete sets of Construction Documents with it.

If you are just wanting a cool little 3D model f your home, you can do it very easy in SketchUp with just a bit f time learning the ropes.

"house plans" you mean "blueprints"? The best soft for such a work is AutoCAD, in sketchup (or 3ds max or other soft) you can use AutoCAD drawings to make 3D model.

In order to answer to your question correctly, specify what are you planning to do.

You say "house plans"... You talking about a full set of architectural construction documents, or just a 3D model to play with?

You could do it in SketchUp, or you could go off the deep end and do it in Revit, but in all honesty no 'house' in America can justify the investment in money and the time it takes to learn Revit. SketchUp can be quirky - layer management is horrendous, but I've seen some off-the-wall architects do complete sets of Construction Documents with it.

If you are just wanting a cool little 3D model f your home, you can do it very easy in SketchUp with just a bit f time learning the ropes.

Yea I have tried downloading revit from the autodesk student center but I try downloading it and I get stuck during the installing materials library part or it won't even let me download the installer because I supposedly don't have an Internet connection

I think Autodesk is very wise and extremely considerate in that they allow students AND anyone that's been unemployed for a while to download almost any Autodesk product there is, free, either so you can learn it, or keep pace with changing software capabilities.

And, it will probably help them earn even greater market share - something lots of other software companies should get onboard with.

I think Autodesk is very wise and extremely considerate in that they allow students AND anyone that's been unemployed for a while to download almost any Autodesk product there is, free, either so you can learn it, or keep pace with changing software capabilities.

And, it will probably help them earn even greater market share - something lots of other software companies should get onboard with.

Yea but I have tried downloading Autodesk 3DS Max from the autodesk student center but I try downloading it and I get stuck during the installing materials library part or it won't even let me download the installer because I supposedly don't have an Internet connection

Sketchup can be used to produce either schematic or full construction documents just fine.

It is actually much better and faster for such tasks than 3DS. You could run an architectural practice for small projects almost exclusively through Sketchup without major issues once you get the basics down. Revit is a complete overkill for small projects.

I would suggest the book: The SketchUp Workflow for Architecture by Michael Brightman.

It is more of a workflow organizing tool using Sketchup and Layout than a "learn Sketchup" bible, thus appropriate even for relatively advanced Sketchup users that never really fiddled with Layout.

You can find youtube videos by this author showing you main concepts the books is dealing with to get an idea.

Wait, what? CD sets from SketchUp? Sure, you could do that, but it would be such a hassle I'd sooner pull out my drafting board and pencils and use those. But yes, it would be better than trying to do CDs in Max.

But if you're a student I can't imagine you'd need to produce a CD set. What are you trying to produce?

I look at CD's this way - the final output is 2D sheets of paper. I do my CD's in AutoCAD.

If I need a 3D model I will do that in SketchUp, because it is faster than "Information Modeling" a house in Revit, and all the up-front work you have to do in Revit to get it to make a 2D set of CD's can better be spent thinking about the actual project, as opposed to how to get your software to work.

Revit might be good for 'government' work that the taxpayer foots the bill for, but a house is NOT an aircraft carrier or a space shuttle.

If I have to model something complicated, say a turbocharger turbine, I model it in SolidWorks (because its faster AND easier), then export that to something I can import into 3DS to render...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize that the thread is old, but IMO it still needs to be some more info here ;)

Take a look at

on Youtube, which shows how architect Nick Sonder uses SketchUp/Layout for the whole process, including all construction documents.

There is a lot of power in Layout (which isn't available in the free version of SU).

There is also a series of clips on Youtube showing Sonders work process.

Starting with :