Build New CG Desktop

Hi guys,

although I have already found quite a few threads regarding this topic and am reading through them for info, I thought I'd post my question anyway since I haven't posted in a long time.

I'm in the process of searching to buy a new PC desktop, which will be used for

more or less everything.

(3d, animation, modeling, RT, gaming...etc.)

I've put together the following pieces (which reaches my exact budget) and

would like to hear some feedback and/or suggestions.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-3770K, 4x 3500 MHz

CPU Cooler: Silent-Socket Cooler 1155/1150

Motherboard(1155): MSI B75MA-E33, Socket 1155, Intel B75 Express chipset

RAM: 32768 MB DDR3-RAM, 1600 MHz

HDD (1): 120 GB SSD Samsung 840 (530 MB/s | 130 MB/s)

HDD (2): 1000 GB, Seagate®/Toshiba/WD®, SATA

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2048 MB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

Casing: Sharkoon T9 Green-Edition

Power Supply: 850 Watt XFX Core Edition PRO Netzteil, 80 PLUS Bronze

Keyboard / Mouse: Logitech® Wireless Desktop MK270

Soundcard: onBoard HD Audio 7.1

Optical Drive: 24x Samsung Multiformat DVD-Burner

Monitor: 60cm (24") TFT 1920x1080, ASUS VS247H-P, VGA, DVI, HDMI

O.S: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64Bit + Installation

Any help would be appreciated,

thank you.

I don't see anything obvious that's going to hold you back here. If you plan to do GPU rendering there are faster options than the GTX 660 but for 3D display it's fine. The CPU and MB are previous generation now but there isn't a huge difference between the new versions and the high end from last year. If you can get an IPS monitor, that would be better for graphics work. (Asus makes a number of IPS displays - go here: http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/ and check off "IPS Monitors" on the left to get a listing.)

Thanks for the info Andrew. I'm not too hung up on the monitor actually, since I have in mind at some point to acquire a second one and have a dual monitor setup. (for that one I will take your advice in account)

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the prev. vs new generation thing you said? maybe a link?

thanks again!

Intel already launched the 4770K as a successor to the 3770K. Thus 3770K = previous generation.

The setup is "ok" overal. The motherboard is not capable of overclocking, so getting the "unlocked" 3770K ove the plain 3770 which should cost some 15-20 euros less is of no use.

The power supply is seriously oversized. You won't need anything bigger than a 550-600W.

No, bigger "just in case" is not always better. ;)

Hi nanasba13, first of all i will recommend you the best site i know for good computer components advice regarding our CG field, is from a member of this forum (Dimitris, from the post above): www.pcfoo.com... And there you can go to the MIDRANGE configuration which looks like the kind of Specs you need: http://pcfoo.com/mid-range-workstation/.

I will be basically repeating what other members have already said about this subject inmany other threads, but i hope in the meantime is of some help to you...The new generation of intel processors for your budget are the HASWELL chips. The fastest right now is the 4770k, which is the equivalent or succesor to the older 3770k, but with less energy consumption, a better integrated GPU (which you will not use), and an approximately 10% increase in speed...which is not that much of a difference (that is what Andrew Lynn refers to). Despite this small increase in performance towards the 3770k, the 4770k it is a new technology, and you can buy it for almost the same price as a 3770k...And since you are not upgrading but building a totally new computer, i will recommend you go for the newer 4770k...

Maybe this would help you understand better the difference: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/590/Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K.html

If you go for the 4770k, you should also use compatible 1150 motherboard. I recently built my own PC, and i did with a GIGABYTE GA-Z87MX-D3H which is a MICRO ATX board. Also i got some advice for other good boards, but where Full ATX and i needed a mATX. This are the ones that other people advice me to buy: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=4519,4518,4481,4490

How much is the total cost for all the components that you have configured so far?

Edited by unrinoceronte

Thanks to all for the quick responses, kalispera Dimitri.

So... I checked out the CPU comparison link and made some adjustments.

CPU: Intel® Core i7-4770, 4x 3400 MHz (Note that it is not the 4770K, but I compared that too and there is no difference!?) Is it important?

MSI B85M-G43, Socket 1150, Intel B85 Chipset

and also added some more HD space

2000 GB, Seagate®/Toshiba/WD®, SATA

This comes up to around 1,490€ (My budget is 1,5)

If I choose the 4770K, the price goes up almost 100€, (probably because of the base pack/ configuration?)

And I would have to lose some things, like only one HDD and no keyboard/mouse...

Dimitris, I can't seem to understand why bigger isn't better regarding the power supply. it's not a big money difference, why not get the 800 one?

Thanks again for the help.

The "K" means that the processor has an unlocked mutliplier for you to "force" a higher CPU to system communication ratio = overclock the CPU.

The base specs for the K and "non-K" are the same out of the factory, only the non-K cannot be overclocked by changing the mutliplier which is "locked" at 35x.

The motherboard needs to be able to support overclocking for this to happen. The chipsets starting with "Z" do that. The B75 or B85 cannot support overclocking. You would need a Z77 motherboard to do it with the 3770K, and a Z87 for the 4770K.

The power supply (PSU) has a net efficiency of "X%".

Lately, PSUs are rated using the 80+ certification system: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

Efficiency is not constant for lower end PSUs. In general there is a "net deficiency" built into PSUs, in a nutshell the resistance of electrical components like capacitors, coils etc. Higher capacity PSUs have a higher minimum resistance, which when drawing too little of power translates to lower efficiencies (what's drawn off the wall vs. what is actually utilized). Optimal efficiencies are rarely found below 50% capacity.

Think of it as a car with a high capacity V8 engine, used to commute in downtown Athens.

Even the "best" in efficiency V8 is doomed to consume more than what a Smart will, as the big engine is subject to far more internal friction losses and the inertia of bigger and heavier moving parts etc.

Your system, especially if it will never be overclocked, will be consuming an average of 200W, with a maximum of 275W (100% CPU usage + 100% GPU usage, which you probably never see unless stress testing with 2x different programs. Reviewers usually run Prime95 + Futurmark at the same time to see maximum wattage consumption - certainly not your typical CG workflow).

Instead of spending money for a high capacity 800+W 80+ bronze, spend it for a 80 Gold 550-600W. Still more than enough headroom for upgrades (tho usually next generation components consume less).

Edited by dtolios

Seuxaristw polu dimitri!

So... Here is the revised setup:

CPU: IIntel® Core i7-4770K, 4x 3500 MHz

CPU Cooler: Silent-Socket Cooler 1155/1150

MB: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Socket 1150, Intel Z87 Express Chipset

RAM: 32768 MB DDR3-RAM, 1600 MHz

1000 GB, Seagate®/Toshiba/WD®, SATA

GPU: ASUS GTX760 DC2OC-2GD5 DirectCU II, 2x DVI, HDMI, DP

Power Supply: 600 Watt beQuiet! Netzteil, 80 PLUS Silber

Soundcard: onBoard HD Audio 7.1

Optical Drive: 24x Samsung Multiformat DVD-Burner

Monitor: 60cm (24") TFT 1920x1080, ASUS VS247H-P, VGA, DVI, HDMI

O.S: Windows 7 Professional SP1 64Bit + Installation

1.493,50 EUR

What do u think?

Solid all-around.

The SSD would make it much more responsive all-around, but...budget is budget.

The 760 is definitely a better card than the 660 in games, but I don't know if that is true for the usage you want it for.

If you will be gaming on the thing, then keep the 760. If not, consider swaping back to the 660 in order to keep the SSD.

The motherboard is nice, but un-needed if you don't wish to overclock the CPU (i.e. no real benefit going Z87 chipset otherwise).

Where are you shopping from? e-shop? Plaisio? Been out for a few years, so I don't know much about the "who-has-what" anymore.

What other PSU options are available to you?

So, I think I’m almost there.

The system:

· Intel® Core i7-4770K, 4x 3500 MHz

· MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Socket 1150, Intel Z87 Express Chipset

· 16384 MB DDR3-RAM (I figured I’d get only 16gb RAM for now and since the Mainboard supports up to 64, I will later get more RAM). Do u think that’s ok?

· 1000 GB, Seagate®/Toshiba/WD®, SATA

· 120 GB SSD Samsung 840 (530 MB/s | 130 MB/s)

· ASUS GTX760 DC2OC-2GD5 DirectCU II, 2x DVI, HDMI, DP

· 600 Watt beQuiet! PSU, 80 PLUS Silver

· 60cm (24") TFT 1920x1080, ASUS VS247H-P, VGA, DVI, HDMI

· Windows 7 Professional SP1 64Bit + Installation

· 24x Samsung Multiformat DVD-Burner

I think I would at some point overclock it. Other PSU options are 620W Antec high current gamer 80Plus bronze, and 630W Thermaltake 80Plus. But both throw me a little over budget.

So what do u think, should I order??? :D

P.s. I'm not in Greece either, been living for the last 2 years in Berlin.

Thanks again!

The normal 840 has much lower write speeds than the 840 Pro or at least EVO. And the the 120GB version is even slower than the 250GB version (write speed only 130MB/s). If you compare the test results:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/s...dels-tested/10

There is no standart 120GB, but there is a 120GB EVO and you can see that this one is much slower than the 250GB EVO.

So i would say: at least a 120GB 840 EVO, 128GB 840 Pro or 250GB 840; better a 250GB EVO or 256GB Pro.

If you're still in Berlin, the 120GB EVO is only ~2€ more expensive than the normal 840...

http://geizhals.de/?cat=hdssd&xf=1035_Samsung~252_120#xf_top

It's just funny. "Only" 130MB/s. I remember guys getting all excited about 10MB/s SCSI adapters.

Write speed 130MB/s doesn't honestly sound very limiting. I don't think you'd notice the difference in real world use. But everybody's got a bit different set of priorities.

If we didn't know about the "EVO" version being introduced a few weeks now for almost the same price, there would be no arguement: I would get Samsung 840 over many MLC drives, and I also believe that the "130MB/s write speed" is not a limiting factor...

But - heck - if you can get much more for 1% price difference and it is available in your area...why not?

Even at 130MB/s (even for reads) it is so much faster and more consistent than HDDs that it worths it.

Thanks for the advise guys. Since I'm not building the PC myself, I'd rather try and get all the parts from the same place, so my options therefore are:

128 GB SSD Toshiba HG5d 440MB/s (100€)

128 GB SSD Adata Premier Pro SP900 520MB/s (105€ same as the 120GB 840)

250 GB SSD Samsung 840 250MB/s (this one goes a little over budget, but if there will be a truly greater difference, from what u say there probably won't, I'll get it) (160€)

No EVO...

If you want to overclock the haswell you need a very good cpu cooler. For matching ram with your mobo go to the site of kingston or crucial or to the site of your mobo manufacturer and look at what they recommend. A 550W PSU is enough for the haswell (even with overclocking cpu and gpu). Try to buy a seasonic psu (maybe the g series) if you can (or a xfx). The bequiet i believe has some lower quality capacitors. This is what i found after a quick search: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=17.

• 3 weeks later...