Getting into it

vangutendog

*I think I originally posted this in the wrong section. I'm not spamming and I invite a administrator to delete the original in "Business of visualization".

Hi all

Long story short, I was a pilot with an architectural+design background but an incident has seen me grounded for medical reasons.

Having not followed design professionally (only studied and a short freelance as a concept artist) I've been doing feasibility studies on which industries show promise and opportunity and found one in architectural visualization and rendering. Unfortunately my architectural training (3years) was 15 years ago when a drawing board was as high tech as a phazer with stun setting and my design training was more 2d orientated.

I know there's a lot of graft ahead of me, but I'm hoping you can get me started. I'm started with 3ds max and the skill is building through the cgcookies.com website to learn my way around the programs.

1. Are there other learning routes I should take?

2. What programs should I prioritize learning?

3. What are the best websites for learning this?

You answers will be much appreciated :)

Are you looking to get a job somewhere or start your own business?

-3ds Max, Consider looking at Sketch-up to, although I don't use it from what I've seen it can be very powerful for modelling

-Photoshop

-Pick a render engine. I would say either stick with the mental ray engine that comes with 3ds Max or V-ray.

Books:

-Murdock's 3ds Max Bible is good, but not sure it's much better then the helps files. Still nice to have at your side.

-Jennifer O'Connner's book on mental ray is great and very technical.

-James Cardoso has 3 books out. All are great! He is also very responsive to questions and gives great feedback.

-3dats made a series of books that were great, I believe, unfortunately, some are no longer in print. If you can get your hands on the most recent editions of the three 'Beginner to Intermediate', 'Intermediate to Advanced' and 'Advanced to Expert'

Websites:

Here! Right here.

Peter Guthrie

Ronen Bekerman

Zap's Mental Ray

Thanks Thomas will be searching for those books and websites this weekend. The research I've done suggests that the industry in my country (South Africa) is very open for new companies/freelancers to make a nice footprint for themselves, although I would be very happy to build up some experience through an existing firm.

My only worry with going it myself is that I have the business skills and architectural contacts but I'm a perfectionist and need to make sure my work is eventually up to standard or greater before I approach anyone.