Trouble Rendering Translucent Wall Material

jeanniemarrugo1

Hello,

I am trying to render a Kalwall system (a translucent wall system). In my building, there is structure that is right behind the Kalwall, and when I render it, they don't show up behind the wall. I have attached simple render - you can see the structure popping up above the box - that is what I need to be "ghosted in" behind the kalwall.

Thank you.render.jpg

Make the wall translucent then.... Just like glass only way less transparency. You may need to place light on the other side if the wall in order to show those columns though.

You can likely save on render time if you just make a normal wall material and turn down the object visibility instead of using transparency.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember creating a Kalwall material a little while back, let me see if I can dig it out for you...

[edit] Started talking vray in the MR forum... Oops. Yeah, the material is a VRay one, but it was a translucency cheat that you could probably do exactly the same in MR using the translucency in the arch & design material.

Think along the lines of leaves; http://www.ramyhanna.com/2008/06/translucent-leaves.html

Edited by Macker

Just turn on transparency and translucency. Here is the scene, you will have to play with values depending on your lighting / geometry thickness / how far the structure behind panels is / effect that you're after. Make sure to use Mitchell filtering, with box it will be grainy no matter how high the sampling is set.

https://app.box.com/s/83t1lpq7vlazrfrrouje

Translucent.jpg