Clock is ticking

M V

I just got mine last Friday (1-3-14). I was number 1414 in line, so that might give you an idea where your book may be. Thankfully the wonderful USPS beat the crap out of the package even though it was clearly labeled "Handle With Care." I think it was the dimwit carrier that jammed the package into the mail box. Nothing like getting the book with already damaged edges.

• Administrators

I got mine last week too and it was a bit beat up too. I sent Alex photos, not because it bothers me, but because I know it will many others. Having been involved in shipping 1000's of books in the past you have to pack books a special way to ensure they arrive without any damage.

I have received the book more than month ago but it was beat-up in edges as well, although...thankfully, nothing dramatic. It had the "handle with care" tag as well just like Scott mentioned. Every single copy of my digital friends on Facebook I had seen were damaged in absolutely identical fashion (I've seen more than 10 photos, same damage in every single one).

Nonetheless, I have yet to see any discussion up on the book. Myself, I am very satisfied, it's more or less what I expected, some great inspirative stuff, although very basic in nature. The detail and care he put into the work is on print way more obvious than it was from the video and Vimeo makings-of. He COULD reveal a slightly more but well.

This one seems most severely crunched:

1471256_10152069055565349_979659507_n.jpg

• Administrators

Yeah, same damage as mine (the corners). It's because they did not pack them in a box that had built in protection for the corners or use cardboard corner protectors. When we shipped we put on corner protectors and wrapped the booked in bubble wrap. After we started doing that we never had an issue again. The worldwide postage system is not friendly to books sadly. I also had a manufacturing issue with mine. The inside of the front cover was all wrinkled. Looked like it was not glued down properly or too much glue was applied and the paper folded.

photo 2.JPG.jpg

photo 4.JPG.jpg

photo 1.JPG.jpg

photo 3.JPG.jpg

I love the packaging in which Expose books from Balistic comes. So much bubble wrap and carton that I always think the book is going to be 4times as thick when I look at it un-opened.

Well, it's his first book so I doubt he could know it all.

I'm not sure of this final numbers, but I could possibly foresee a 2nd edition print sometime in the future if this first one sold well. But I would imagine that one would probably be a lower quality paper. Similar to what Ballistic does with some of their books, where the first ones are hardcover and the rest are still decent quality but softcovers.

Similar to what Ballistic does with some of their books, where the first ones are hardcover and the rest are still decent quality but softcovers.

They now go on sale simultaneously in all 3 versions at same time and did for few years (limited leather/hardcover/softcover). The leather is kinda weird and even with the discount of being inside the book, I couldn't justify the price for it.

Fact stays, that the price of Alex's book wasn't least over-priced and those who didn't buy it just missed the opportunity.

While he might do a reprint some day I doubt he would have the time it took him to set it up and ship. I presume from his Twitter that it was bit too draining.

Well, i thought many days about this book - buy or not to buy. I checked my budget and price is absolutely too high for me over 2 times. 49 Euro is almost in my range but not 99 Euro. Well, i'll wait few months or 1-2 year, and i'm sure that someone will be bored to have this book and someone will put this book to ebay. I hope that around world are more persons which better budget than me and Alex will get some extra money because his skill, experience and powerfull tips and tricks should be respected.

Alex Roman is one of the persons which have changed CG community in better way and he gave us hope that CG visualisations have to be discovered again by new quality and new artistic features:) Thank you Alex!

Finally got it yesterday! It was a little banged up, but I dont care. The cost of this book was a drop in the bucket, just to hear what Alex has to say regarding approaching CG work has light a new fire inside of me. He is a true master of this craft. It made me go back to Vimeo and watch The Third and The Seventh again, lights off and speakers up. Truly amazing work.

• 9 months later...

Just so you guys know, there is a new stock now, with a discount that ends today.

I'm glad I got the book, although i'm kinda disappointed with the actual content. His art is absolutely amazing, but if anyone is planning on buying the book to get some less known information about how to do something should walk away.

If so you'r better of saving the money and spending it on a tutorial from Grant Warwick.