In our eyes...

Ken Walton

Hello everyone...

I just recently made my first post (WIP) here, and I've received some fairly positive replies, surprisingly enough. In my own miniscule "architectural" experience with CG, I've found that this is by far the best place to expand your knowledge - however limited or extensive it may be - and better learn this industry. I've never had any formal secondary education in this field (or others) and I don't underestimate its value. From what I've seen here, and I've spent several months just lurking here in the shadows, some of what I consider the best in the trade and art of what we do are among us, actively replying to even the most inexperienced interested prospects. As far as I'm concerned, classrooms are great for a lot of people; however, when you have the chance to learn from multiple "professors" or mentors who aren't receiving a dime for the knowledge and experience they share out of the pure passion they have for what they do, I'd take that over any "scholar" at even the most prestigous university any day. I know that without formal education, there would be little "accredited" information to pass on to upcoming generations of the same standard of experts I've noticed here. But what we do, I consider a fairly complicated trade. Most likely, there are a vast number of members here whose works are part of a design process for other professionals. Still, in my case and I'd assume a few others here, our Mona Lisas are merely an advertisement or a marketing product for our clients. These clients know less than we do about the nitty-gritty results we're striving for in our work - then, this lack of "trained" knowledge can then be multiplied by 100 or more in most cases, to equal that of the end user (or target audience) in this scenario. Conversely, I do understand the importance of realism and accuracy in this field, and could never imagine myself ever doing a job half-ass or not to my own standards because of the aformentioned reality. But it's these same "standards" that intrigue me. When we're in this situation, how often are we trying to meet our own goals and not our clients, though our results exceed their expectations every time? I don't believe in being too hard on oneself or setting extraordinarily high goals, but what have you guys done when you've come to the honest realization that the ceiling you've been frescoing will be torn down and never seen again after all the pews are filled - one time. I could go on and on (more than I have already) contesting myself over the issues of "a job worth doing" and the ethic of continued client satisfaction (not mentioning the selfish desire of perfection), but I'd be here all night - and I don't have that much alcohol left. To make some long questions short: where do you draw the line between your client's satisfaction and your own, how long before you come to this realization, and does the guilt still linger knowing you could have done better if you've made that compromise? If I've totally hit off target and this is something personal, I meant not to offend anyone. I do believe, and always will, that our work is important whether it be for working documents, design, or just sales. Furthermore, from what I've seen here I think at least a good 95% of us aren't doing it solely for the money. We're doing it because we're predominantly creative individuals who love what they do - hence the recent pricing and salary poll debate, which I personally believe is due (at least in my case) to our lack of desire for the required "business" side of our work. From my own artistic / business imbalance I believe a better platform could not be found from which to pitch such a poll's necessity. To us, and if we're lucky a couple of good clients, what we do is art - a scientific and techno-savvy art at that - but ulitimately it's just business. Where and when do you find that line, or do you?

Passionately confused,

Ken Walton

whew, finished!!!

hi ken, i dont normally read esseys like this, but i did this time. i'll give you my reply in a short paragraph, as i dont write esseys either :)

in short, i dont have a massive secondary education (just 3 years part time architectural college) but i'm here doing this for the shear passion of drawing and architecture.

i work for a big firm of architects. i model only our own designs. My boss gives me the brief, gives me the deadline and tells me to get on with it then only bothers me at deadline time. nice way of working eh?

then it's down to me to make the most of things. the building design is out of my hands. i do what im asked to do, but the presentation side of things is entirely up to me.

i like to percieve myself as a perfectionist, so i'll strive to make my imagery for him and our clients as photo realistic as possible. this is my own personal goal. this is never possible with deadlines as we'd like it to be.

my average deadline for a photomontage of a typical building is usually under a working week. no time much to polish the finished product. this personally bothers me, as i like to give him the best every time, which i cant always do with time restrictions.

But he's (and the client) is happy 100% of the time so far so hey, job done.

Now this is frustrating - i now model with G.I. and radiosity to 'lift' the realism even more these days, but it's still darn slow whatever system you use. because of this i still submit scan line stuff, which (in my eyes) is way below par, but is still appreciated.

If i wanted to, to save me time and give me an easier work load every day, i could submit ALL my work as scanlined stuff with much less render and model detail gone into the images. My boss and clients really wouldn't mind as much. they're more interested in the architecture and design, not the arty render itself.

Ok, so they still like what i do, extra brownie points and all that, but in essence it's not needed i dont think, well, not in my job anyway.

I'm not a freelance architectural illustrator i'm a 3d guy in a firm of architects.

Saying that, i still manage to knock out work i'm happy with (most of the time), even tho i dont need to bother always. but i'm still happy with my job here :)

Damn, i DID write a mini essey, i hope i didn't miss ur point :/

Anyway, go read these 2 threads, i think they answer your final queery very nicely indeed :)

http://www.cgarchitect.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000009

http://www.cgarchitect.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000004

[ October 06, 2002, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: STRAT ]

Hi Strat, thanks for your nice essay :).

As a freelancer i can tell you its not that different, only your boss changes more often. Only little influence on the architecture and not enough time to make the quality you like to do. But someday....

ingo

Hi all,

I'll comment on one part only:

where do you draw the line between your client's satisfaction and your own, how long before you come to this realization, and does the guilt still linger knowing you could have done better if you've made that compromise?
I think everyone runs short in time as there will always be things one wants to optimize, although this does not necessarily makes the artwork any better. In reality a heavy deadline forces one to make rapid choices and the unfinished piece of art will always cover itself in some a rather mythical way.

Another thing I've learned that might be very important to the people new to the profession is that one should not try to finish the work AFTER the deadline. Accomplish your new ideas to the next job instead of trying to pollish your older work again and again as these will not make you able to grow a lot. Look further instead of looking back and adopt your thoughts to your future work. Learn to leave the inner world of an artwork for the risk of a new world!

hum... just a slip of my mind imho...

rgds

nisus