Architectural Photographers..... Who are the favorites?

Corey Beaulieu

Also, he's not an architectural photographer, but I love the work of Loic Le Quéré

His stuff in Iceland is something I come back and look at time and time again.

http://www.loiclequere.com/iceland

Keep it going.

Yes these series are very nice, I am using them as background for some time :- ) Very dreamy.

I continuously look for more sources of inspiration and currently I have been sifting through a series of retouch tutorials on Phlearn.com. Obviously it isn't a true source for viz artists, but I have to say that his (Aaron Nace) insights into color and how to control/think about adjusting an image has opened my eyes to a lot of possibilities.

I think it's great idea, I am also learning mostly from randomly scattered photography info, the good one is rather sparse (photography is over-saturated field and they're quite secretive among the top pros). It's not like there is any advanced post tutorial in Archviz directly concerning artistic side (and not compositing), or any at all. I sadly never make bookmarks, so I can't even compile a good list for myself. Wouldn't be bad idea to compile such.

It's definitely important to seek inspiration from outside of our discipline, otherwise things just stagnate.

Very much... sometimes I browse through recent 3D work and some derivations of derivations of derivations within Archviz is trully endless and very inception like. I remember few architects saying they don't even watch or follow other architect's works, but that's other extreme. I believe it's good to watch competition, see where they level is, how they tackle problems, but ultimately, find unique and authentic source of inspirations.

The following is not directly architectural photography, although it happens and integrates architecture a lot, mostly concerning with interior spaces, interior design, decoration a styling. I know some developed grudge because it has been over-copied in grotesque fashion in recent year, but you can't deny it's pleasing aesthetique. It mostly fascinates me how this imagery perfectly captures the details of LIGHT. From weak, to strong shadows, varying penumbras, reflected caustics on ceilings, gritty details in corners, overal balance with single light source, there's a lot to take away not just decoration ideas.

http://silver-blonde.tumblr.com/tagged/interior

tumblr_luv1w5MOhN1qz8uvvo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3ztzwbdyY1qiegleo1_500.jpg

What's interesting to me is that a lot of these examples posted favour a high-key look with overcast diffuse sky and weak soft shadows. Quite the opposite of the blue sky and sunshine that is so prevalent in traditional arch-viz images. Maybe it's just my northern European eye, but I find that much more appealing and when applied to 3d scenes gives a greater sense of realism in my opinion.

Edited by stef.thomas

Ugh, not gonna let this thread die, it's too good and finally interesting.

I recently like this odd french photographer, there are some funky fictional compositions, but also regular but very unique commercial works.

He doesn't do just this funky stuff, but really nice regular ArchDaily type crop, so it's worth to see:

http://www.filipdujardin.be/

Sorry had to correct you, I think he is Belgian not French.

I like his work to.

This guy here does similar work, his post-work is flawless http://www.laurentchehere.com/ and he is French :-)

Sorry had to correct you, I think he is Belgian not French.

I like his work to.

This guy here does similar work, his post-work is flawless http://www.laurentchehere.com/ and he is French :-)

You know, now I actually do feel stupid because I literally saw it on the domain ".be" yet I wrote french for some reason... sometimes, this dyslectic misconnections truly trouble me a bit..got bit worse in recent years.

Anyway, on brigher side, your correction reminded me of Hercule Poirot :- ) "I am belgian, not french!" Even my girlfriend was once "french" belgian...maybe that's why this wrong association.

The flying series is incredible !

1459152_582030618517406_77503093_n.jpg

Edited by RyderSK

• 6 months later...

Hey everyone. I ran across this guy while reading through Arch Daily. I'm pretty certain he is not metioned here, but his work is amazing. It is the perfect amount of saturated and contrasted in my opinion and his composition represent everything that I strive for in my work, but often fail at. It's great stuff and I hope you enjoy.

http://javiercallejas.com/

What is it with some photographers being so dead-afraid of someone using their images they use calculator level size of them on their portfolio site ? I can't tell what I am looking at, all I see are post stamps.

All the leading top-stars like Guerra already mentioned numerously times in interviews it's new age and you can't keep this mentality but yet all the small-timers go on. Stuff travels. Internet.

Otherwise love it, had that "Infinite house" series on my disk forever, it's simply breath-taking.

The issue of intellectual property in the Internet age, is it a complicated issue?

If it were not for sharing, work would be meaningless. A book reaches two hundred or three hundred people but the internet reaches far more. Nowadays people do work for the Internet; five years ago they wanted to be published in Casabella (still today I guess...) but today they ask for ArchDaily.

In 2002 I had a website with my name fernandoguerra.com and felt the need to change and be more than just an “I.” In 2004, I launched Ultimas Reportagens which for me is a library, not a name.

At the time all publishers told me it would be the end of my work because with the photos free, no publisher would want to publish them. Well too bad, pal, I said. I still uphold that sharing is essential.

2004 !!! And ten years later, we still have pissed-pants types.

What is your expectation regarding the use of this large library at Ultimas Reportagens?

I offer the photos to everyone; students or people who are doing research on architecture. The idea of Ultimas Reportagens is to display information forever, even after I die. My work is not a building that can be demolished after thirty years..

And best one:

Since the library is open, people naturally use the images that are there. What is your perspective on their use of your work: reproduction, collage, derivative works...

I do not care! The excessive protection of the watermark or not cropping the picture only because it can get badly cut, are things that annoy me particularly. Alterations happen with everything after all; an architect can also design a project that is built differently.

I do suggest to read the whole thing, because there is lot to learn from someone who is at absolute top, yet does things differently than others and has been setting the trend for past 10 years. It's long, but worth it.

http://www.paperhouses.co/blog/entry/decisive-instant-conversation-with-fernando-guerra

• 4 weeks later...
2004 !!! And ten years later, we still have pissed-pants types.

And best one:

I do suggest to read the whole thing, because there is lot to learn from someone who is at absolute top, yet does things differently than others and has been setting the trend for past 10 years. It's long, but worth it.

http://www.paperhouses.co/blog/entry/decisive-instant-conversation-with-fernando-guerra

Yeah well Guerra is just in a league of his own in general. It doesn't surprise me at all that he'd take this stance.

I'm sick to death of shitty res photographs that you can tell are absolutely beautifully shot on a large format camera and reproduced for web at 800x600 because of the insecurity that someone somewhere online might love their work enough to share it.

I'm sure you've experienced this to a greater degree Juraj, but when my personal work pops up on designspiration or tumblr or something similar I feel that it reinforces my work and I feel grateful that someone SOMEWHERE cared enough to share it with someone else as a representation of their own aesthetics. It makes me happy as a designer and as someone who is generally pretty nerdy about design maybe because I'm always eager to show people here at uni awesome architects or sweet designers. There's nothing better than finding someone who is so much better than you at something that you obsess over their work. Maybe that's just me.

I'm not sure where this secretive, stone-age mentality comes from but photographers are notorious for hiding secrets. It might just be because in cg we're all so used to the greatest people taking the greatest effort to share their knowledge. Who knows.

Anyway!

Thought I'd share a dude whose work I've been digging a lot lately and he's a fellow Canadian.

http://adrienwilliams.com/portfolio/alain-carle-les-marais/

Yes, images travel, absolutely without my name, or my name as "designer" instead :- ) which flatters me. Doesn't bother me much at all, and if someone who sees them is in search of visulization, they can always trace it easily these days.

I was in Sweden week ago, and met one quite well-known architectural photographer there (UK guy but now living in Gothenburg), so I simply had to ask him on his stance (after few beers). He gave me quite honest and straight up answer: He makes most of his money purely from print business, and had no idea how Guerra could benefit from social media since or since architects can't pay much directly in commission. If he would publish images online, no magazines would buy them in that logic and that would leave income from this.

To get counter-opinion I really need to meet Guerra some day :- ) It did stir my curiosity how does his income balance between commissions (Alvaro Siza), publications print and online presence.

Guerra may have a contract or agreement with his publishers about what he can do with his own work. Maybe he only releases certain images after the publication run is finished (in cases of short runs like Dwell, etc) His stuff is all over the place in print including countless books and features in magazines. Books can be ridiculously profitable. He's also got product tie-ins with a camera accessory line so I'm sure he just has fingers in a lot of different pots, I suppose. Either that or Siza and Marcio Kogan pay very, very well, hahaha.