Strange transparency issues (on non-transparent materials) in viewport

amycarlevaris

Hi, I'm new here! I've been reading this site for a while but only decided to join recently. Wondering if I could get some advice on a strange issue I just started having.

After my last save I must have pressed a key or made an inadvertent switch somewhere, because I'm just now having viewport issues (see attached photo). None of the objects in my model are transparent, however, they're appearing so in my viewport. There's also odd shading and pixelation. It doesn't matter whether I'm in orthographic or perspective view, shaded or realistic. It can't be a material issue, because up until my last save all the materials were showing up as they should. And it renders out just fine, no strange shading/transparency issue. I feel like it has to be a simple error that I just can't figure out!

Thanks a lot for any advice (also, I'm using 3ds Max 2014).

screenshot.jpg

Alt-X switches to "xray mode" you can select them and hit that to see if it helps. What objects are we talking about just the sidewalk? The backs of the "buildings" look like the verts got selected and welded in a strange way that the geometry is wrong to me but IDK what they are supposed to be like.

Try using viewport clipping...we faced many issues like this on our old workstation. Viewport clipping fixed most of the issues with performance (there are some downsides) but %99 of the time was the fix we used.