Problem with Lights

jeanniemarrugo1

Hello,

Can anyone tell me why every time I place lights (standard or photometric) in my model, they NEVER appear in the rendering until I mess with the settings for hours? Am I missing a setting somewhere? I make sure the shadows are on, I mess with the multiplier and the power, I make sure the top isn't in an object. What is the problem!? I am using 3dsMax Design 014 and mental ray.

Thanks!

What are you talking about?

Did you expect that the lights would some how read the scene and determine how much sun/sky light was hitting the object of focus from your camera angle and then, as if by magic, adjust their own intensities to be perfect?

Every scene is different. Every render setup is different. Lights, Cameras, and Setting all need to be "messed with for hours" so that they are appropriate for the job at hand. The more you do it the fewer hours it will take.

I accept that I may be misunderstanding your question, but reading it several times now, it seems like you want the render to complete itself and I'm sorry to tell you, there is work involved.

"Garbage in, Garbage" - 4|1|1963

Thank you for the somewhat rude answer and I'm not expecting the program to do the work for me. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

What are you talking about?

Did you expect that the lights would some how read the scene and determine how much sun/sky light was hitting the object of focus from your camera angle and then, as if by magic, adjust their own intensities to be perfect?

Every scene is different. Every render setup is different. Lights, Cameras, and Setting all need to be "messed with for hours" so that they are appropriate for the job at hand. The more you do it the fewer hours it will take.

I accept that I may be misunderstanding your question, but reading it several times now, it seems like you want the render to complete itself and I'm sorry to tell you, there is work involved.

"Garbage in, Garbage" - 4|1|1963

Sorry you found my answer rude... I didn't feel you were being clear about the issue if you were thinking otherwise.

If you get your lights to eventually work, what is it you are doing before they work? Are they gradually working or are they suddenly turning on? What is the apparent source of the issue? John is hitting on a likely culprit, but without more clarity in your question we are all left to assume what you want.

Adding so much exasperation in your question asking hide the actual question. So, rude or not: What is it that you are talking about?