Terrible architects cad drawings...

marius e

Guys,

Please remember it's not the architect's job to make your work easier. If it's too much of a hindrance, let them know that it will cost them more.

oh please........having a crap cad file is worse than an architect/ draughtsman or any designer that use to draw on paper. Its important to be neat and treat it the same as if was on paper and pen.

Guys,

Please remember it's not the architect's job to make your work easier. If it's too much of a hindrance, let them know that it will cost them more.

While this is true to some level, a lot of the "garbage" we see is just poor CAD workflow. Which means that if the architect took some time to learn proper CAD flow, they themselves will see a speed increase in getting things done. It reminds me of this quote...

Homer Simpson: Kids, there's three ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!

Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?

Homer Simpson: Yeah, but faster!

This also counts for Sketchup drawings made by architects by the way. :-) Using groups and layers properly doesn't seem to be something they are able to do. Also, they seem to never have heard anything about components. I often wonder if it would be faster to make the whole drawing by scratch again or to fix their version.

100% agree with this. I think its bad 'CADDING' workflow carrying over to SketchUp. If a SketchUp model is done correctly, it's quite useful for what I do.

If a SketchUp model is done correctly, it's quite useful for what I do.

I find this so sad, because learning proper Sketchup workflow (like groups/components, proper thickness and normals,etc..) is thing that can be taught in like, hour or two ? When I remember the shitty models of my classmates my head spins how it was even possible to achieve such mess.

Some people don't have the mental capacity to realize when the model is shitty or not, it's not laziness, they honestly don't see it. And it gets blamed on Sketchup supposedly "not being professional" tool. Well,...

But thats not the discussion....I have merely posted the the drawing here to have a look at some bad drawing practice. I have done cad work years ago in a large firm and I can say that almost 80% drawings done was bad drawing from architects and draughtsman.

its not about bashing anybody, most of the guys (that I refer to) do not even know that autocad has a front and isometric view. They just draw 2d and from one person to the next the file just grows worse and worse....

• 3 weeks later...
You actually get a drawing.

I called my company Sketchrender, because that's what I generally get, a sketch, rarely do I get a CAD drawings.

I have some beauties I could post.

Phil

I think this is pretty good actually. All the jobs where I got sketches turned out to be quite interesting in scope of work. Drawings have often needless detail but interpreting sketches leaves something to explore and are usually clear to read the main idea and shapes. But unless we're talking the worst of the worst napkin types :- D Rorschack tests...

what kind of company is it that sends you this? must be some small offices where its hard to learn old dogs to sit or whatever the saying is.

Ive worked as an architect for a couple of years and if we ever got or saw drawings like that the person/s responsible would be gone before they could tie their shoes.

If you want a quick fix get microstation, it has an option to save as 2D, it flattens all the z heights and keeps layers, lineweights, styles and so on intact. Or get a script as someone suggested, in any case it really shouldn't take more than 2 minutes to rectify