Material Roll Out "Coordinates"

yourfather

Hi everyone.

I cant find a tutorial that explained the differences between all the different "Source:" options in the "Coordinate" roll out. Does anyone know how to do the following.

1. I modeled a single brick.

2. I applied UVWMap as well as some Displacement Modifiers (with maps).

3. I now want to make multiple bricks from that one brick but i want them all to be unique instead of repeating the same part of the map.

I hope that makes sense. I remember something about using the "Coordinates" "Source:" rollout to make a map behave differently.

If you know of a tutorial that would be great. Most the tutorials dont cover what im asking.

Thanks for everything.

RS>

Maybe try "XYZ to UVW". I have not tried as I am at work.

Maps 3D procedural coordinates to UVW coordinates. This "sticks" the procedural texture to the surface. If the surface stretches, so does the 3D procedural map. Use this option with procedural textures, like Cellular, on objects with animated topologies.

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/15/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-78327298-4741-470C-848D-4C3618B18FCA.htm,topicNumber=d30e114086

Ismael,

your awesome. Thank you.

The only way i've been able to use a "different part" of the procedural texture, when used as a displacement map is to do the following:

1. put a procedural map in the material editor

1. for first brick, drag and drop a copy of the procedural map into the displacement map modifier.

2. for every brick after that adjust the "Coordinates > Offset" values and copy it into the displacement map

3. repeat 500 times (i need lots of bricks)

of course i've tried the "Stone Placement" script which works great but it doesnt create the type of bricks i need. after looking around for a while now, ive found that i can use the scripts to help with certain aspects, but then i need to go in and customize each brick. It wouldnt be so bad if i could get the procedurals to automatically and randomly offset.

P.S. thanks for the sources so far. Mayang and Creative scratch pad.

RS.