3d Floor plan/vray question

mannyp

Hello guys new to the site. I know this question has been asked over and over and in million ways but I am sure someone has a clear, simple answer or small tutorial put together and any help would be greatly appreciate!!

So i have attached a floorplan i made in Max and I rendered using Vray, now it looks awful, grainy and dark (in other words it looks like I don't know what I am doing). QUestion is how can I possibly get the lighting and colors to look like the plans I see online. I am not trying to get ultra realistic renders, just something that looks clean and sharp like the image I will attach below. I know the attached was also done using 3ds max +vray. I know its all about tweaking of the lighting, using AO and GI and such but I am lost gents. any help would be great.Thanks in advance.

floortest.jpg

BLOCK_A.jpg

(not my work, using for example only)

(the attached floor plan was done my Wildchild, I apologize for using it(just using as an example)

Edited by mannyp

You are partially answering your own question, that's good.

The straight answer would be, learn how 3DMax work with V Ray or any rendering engine work and get some photoshop skills then you can have great results.

As you mentioned this question its been answered 1000's time because there is not a magic button, or a magic setting, or a secret way to do this, it is all about artist craft.

Read tutorials, read making off and learn why they are doing what they are doing, so you can apply to your particular scene. Not all the scenes are the same, unless you'll render the same isometric for the rest of your life, that would be very sad.

As for your sample compared with your render, the main difference is on the sample image, there is more direct lights creating shadows, also some accent lights creating color and illumination variations, on your image it seems you are using only 1 light, a dome light, with very low render setting or low light samples, that's why is so dim and noisy, also it is straight out of the render with not post work love.

There is also some Photoshop work in the sample image to accentuate colors and create a better contrast and vibrancy

So do your home work and you can kick that scene in no time ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This video taught me a lot about how vray works and more importantly how to use render passes to see where the noise is coming from. Once you know where the noise is coming from you can adjust the settings for that element and the noise wont be there. This process will also help to optimize your renderings because the AA wont have to work so hard cleaning up noise in your GI, Reflections, etc. It is a bit counter intuitive but in a lot of cases having higher settings will not only render better results but also render faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PYHAGQp9KM

It is the first tutorial in his year long tutorials series, the rest of the year you have to pay for but I think that will help you enough at this point. I have signed up for the class and it is good but so far there has not been much added on top of what is in that video as far as where you are struggling. A lot of the class is based on ultra realistic material creation and it is very good also.