maxwell render

STRAT

I will try not to judge it until I see more. I just have to say, that I have not seen any "quality" yet.

Well, you are a tough customer, but we knew that already. And like so many other things..."nothing wrong with it"!

By the way, Chris, I finally saw "Day After Tomorrow" recently, and thought the architectural work was awsome. You did good.

My biggest 'issue' was not visual but 'continuity'--Fifth Avenue does not lead to either river or the harbor, it starts at Washington Sq. Park--it's in the CENTER on Manhattan. So it would be pretty hard to get a Russian tanker to neatly align itself and flow north so gently. Not impossible, though.

And that the wave that shot uptown first would not just be full of vehicles...but bodies, by the tens of thousands. I guess you guys can be forgiven for foregoing that detail.

Oh, and we never mention that the entire population of Canada is assumed dead.

But it was a lot of fun, really good work.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recognise the quality in the renders I've seen so far. I just don't see anything that makes me go 'wow-that would be worth a 5 hour wait.' I'd rather spend the 4 hours getting it to look the way I want.

Can't just about all other existing renderers compete with this quality-and in less time?

Didn't everybody wet their knickers over Brazil for awhile?(and then just forgot about it.)

My biggest 'issue' was not visual but 'continuity'--Fifth Avenue does not lead to either river or the harbor, it starts at Washington Sq. Park--it's in the CENTER on Manhattan. So it would be pretty hard to get a Russian tanker to neatly align itself and flow north so gently. Not impossible, though.

And that the wave that shot uptown first would not just be full of vehicles...but bodies, by the tens of thousands. I guess you guys can be forgiven for foregoing that detail.

Oh, and we never mention that the entire population of Canada is assumed dead.

But it was a lot of fun, really good work.

Well thankfully, the VFX people had nothing to do with the fact that the script and continuity was among so... shall we say... problematic? They were not responsible for deciding to make the wave first hitting NY on the west side, since we all know that the ocean is basically where NJ is. They also did not make the choice for it to suddently come from the east side as it hits the library. Yes we wanted to add rats and other things in the shot but it is rated PG 13, and that would be impossible. It was also supposed to be a lot more graphics when the reporter gets hit with the billboard.

All you should take away from it, is that all the VFX look great, not just what DD did, but what the orphanage did during the big freeze (also a problem in "reality", but still amazing as a visual effect), and what hydrolix did for the opening.... etc...

Soooo, the alpha version is available to purchase now. Anybody going to shell out the $400 to see if it works or not?

I finally have it and intend to put it through its paces very soon! And more so when the Cinema 4D plug is released. I just downloaded the preview trial version of max 7 from discreet to test Maxwell.

• 2 years later...

Wong Tien- This is my problem with Maxwell also, and the only answer is to let it render longer. Your scene is the worst case scenario- lots of artificial illumination and no windows. Maxwell will always be extremely slow in this situation (at least until processor speeds increase significantly).

You might be able to speed things up a bit by minimizing the polygon count of your emitters and make your whites less white, but the results you are showing look pretty much as expected for 7 hours in my experience.

i am new user of maxwell render

i will post my rendering for your comment

it takes 7 hours to render this image

still not sharp

please help

hi wongtien,

7 hours on what? maxwell version 1.5? without specs, this indication is pretty useless...

anyway, a tip: in my experience it is more effective to render an oversize (best, double size) image and then do a resize in photoshop. it is an easy way to reduce grain and improve sharpness, with a rendertime which usually you can keep at the same level or a bit longer.

also, like with a real camera, always look for the correct f-stop and camera focal distance, as this can also be the cause for unsharp images. to be completely sure, you may load your MXS to studio and use the 'autofocus' tool (context menu).

hope this helps...

markus