Portfolio

So i got to the point where I think I can produce some high quality images and I want to create a new portfolio to apply for a job, but I need it as fast as possible (i have about 8-10 weeks but I'd like to finish it faster). I dont want the quality to suffer, so I need a method that is faster. Do you think creating a whole house (actually two) with all the furniture I need and rendering out 6-8 images plus 2-3 exterior images is better OR it's faster creating seperately the kitchen/bathroom/living room/a house for exterior shots etc?

I would use my own floor plans (that would be part of the portfolio) so thats why I thought of creating two houses using different styles, and I want some night shots as well. I thought creating everything in one scene would speed up the process and it would look good that I can show every room of the floor plan in 3d.

As I write this, I realised that it's probably not faster, but do you think it is a good idea modeling e whole house or should I use a different approach? This is the best studio in Budapest I want to send my portfolio to, so I would thank you for some good advice about what the studios are actually looking for.

Thank you in advance

EDIT: probably I would need 2-3 images of a bar/restaurant (total number of images in the portfolio would be around 10)

Edited by krisztiangulyas

Time/quality/speed. Pick 2.

If this is for job hunting, take all of the 10 weeks and don't take shortcuts. Trust me when I tell you I can spot a shortcut portfolio from a mile away and it always gets less than 4 seconds of my time when it comes across my desk.

I'd rather see 2 great images that 10 so-so images. More images isn't always better. Frankly, if the very first image doesn't wow me I will rarely look any further in a portfolio.

You need to use your time wisely. So if you aren't going to see the entire space, why model all of it? Sure it shows you can model a whole house but if you don't do it all perfectly, it also shows you can't to any one thing very well. Focus only on the spaces you want to show in your portfolio. Start with one space, get it perfect then move on to a 2nd space and so on until your 10 weeks is up. When you try to do too much initially you start to rush when it doesn't seem like you are getting anywhere. This can lead to panic as well as discouragement and it clearly comes across in your portfolio imagery.

Gotta agree with Scott. Quality over quantity, but don't spend 10 weeks solid on 1 image. You should be able to do an interior shot, from start to finish in 1 week (long if you plan to model everything your self).

What job and what environment are you planning to send your portfolio to? It always pays to see what other companies are producing, and send stuff that is in-line with that they do.

Dean

Thanks Scott and Dean.

Yeah, I would model everything myself.

They create interior and exterior shots of apartments/residential houses and that's what I'm aiming for as well.

Well I have nothing else to do right now, so I think a week will be enough for one image.

Another thing that concerns me that I have some trees and flowers/plants that I'd like to use but I did not make them. Could it be a problem later on if I put those in?

Thanks

Unless you are applying for a modelling job where they expect you to create plants, then it isn't a problem. Studio buy 3D models all the time, then perhaps tweak them and adjust materials.

The same goes for furniture. If you can buy a chair model for £5, or model it in 4 hours, then it's always going to make sense to buy it. Just be honest about what is yours, and what you've bought. It's all part of the industry, so if anything having knowledge of buying models, and adapting them makes you look professional, and shows you have an understanding of how to work in the industry.

Dean