CORONA render?

Mali22:

But that's kind of potato comparison. I can render one image in one or 10 hours, depending on how much I sacrifice visual quality. I never do, because I don't compromise, but it shows one of Vray's qualities on the flexibility to choose.

(And I am talking "compromise", not "optimalization", you can't optimalize identical visual quality to much lower render time you only sacrifice something).

Corona doesn't give you that broad options, but it's still nonetheless quite much faster for given identical result. Not even sure if that's up to discussion if Vlado said it's faster as well.

Some fanboys do it great disservice by saying it's super fast, obviously it's not, if speed is concern, I would look elsewhere perhaps. You're not gonna get faster render times in any engine unless you go to one that specializes purely in that direction (what's the new GPU renderer name? that one)

BTW Corona had IR algorithm as well in earlier alpha and it will eventually come back. But since it's built purely around pathtracing + caching that is not issue of day for developers right now.

It can't be so easily generilised, it's seem people are far too divided on this so it's good if they can do their own comparisons. Seems to depend a lot on what setup they previously used and what quality they shoot for. But I don't think it's for everyone either yet.

Last thing: Pathtracing can be more punishing if you don't follow proper 'rules'. So what Vray would sample indefinitely, skip with artifacts, Corona will just manifest as stuck noise. But the issue is in user not engine. Improper materials (Diffuse >240, over-done bump maps,etc..), not using portals if windows get relatively very small, having light emitters inside small complicated geo with specular materials...there are many offenders. But these issues are renderer-agnostic, it's just that every renderer deals with it in different way.

For someone, missing contact shadows, simplified shadow gradients on walls, and occasional IR splotch is ok.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must agree with Juraj, Corona is a great renderer but the user is what is important. I have used it in two of my projects and one of them has over 950 lights (a night shot) and unfortunately it takes forever for the noise to come down (if at all) and the developer expressed intentions to handle that in the near future, but has not gotten to that yet. He mentioned in one of the forum threads that over 200 lights and you will start getting noise problems. Anyhow, definitely nice results and time is not so bad if you don't go over 900 lights like I did. I'd definitely recommend it and have. I have not tried VRay 3.0 so can't compare, but I do know that with Corona is meant to be photorealistic and a plug and render; thus not many settings you can change to make it faster and still get decent results that you can then photoshop (like I have learnt in MR). Anyhow, having said that, give it a try, it is free and you can download Corona Alpha 6 and use it forever for free if you are interested in having it for hobbying around with it.